* Debian Etch GCC GNAT 4.1 / Aonbix ADT Eclipse Plugin
@ 2007-04-16  9:33 Pieter Thysebaert
From: Pieter Thysebaert @ 2007-04-16  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm on Debian GNU/Linux Etch and have installed GCC 4.1 along with the
corresponding GNAT packages.

I also have Eclipse 3.2 installed and downloaded (through Eclipse Software
Updates) the Aonix ADT plugin.

My problem is that the ADT does not pick up Etch's GCC GNAT 4.1 toolchain
(when selecting GNAT Linux Toolchain), no matter what directory I feed it
(I naively thought that setting the toolchain path to /usr/bin would do
the trick).

Is there anyone who knows how to make the Aonix ADT plugin work together
with the GCC 4.1 based GNAT from Debian Etch?

Or is this a known limitation of the plugin (i.e. that it only works with
AdaCore GNAT Pro and GNAT GPL) ?

Thanks,
Pieter

* Re: Debian Etch GCC GNAT 4.1 / Aonbix ADT Eclipse Plugin
@ 2007-04-16 10:10 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-04-16 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pieter Thysebaert <No@Spam.Wanted> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I'm on Debian GNU/Linux Etch and have installed GCC 4.1 along with the
> corresponding GNAT packages.
>
> I also have Eclipse 3.2 installed and downloaded (through Eclipse Software
> Updates) the Aonix ADT plugin.
>
> My problem is that the ADT does not pick up Etch's GCC GNAT 4.1 toolchain
> (when selecting GNAT Linux Toolchain), no matter what directory I feed it
> (I naively thought that setting the toolchain path to /usr/bin would do
> the trick).
>
> Is there anyone who knows how to make the Aonix ADT plugin work together
> with the GCC 4.1 based GNAT from Debian Etch?
>
> Or is this a known limitation of the plugin (i.e. that it only works with
> AdaCore GNAT Pro and GNAT GPL) ?

Sorry I can't help you with Aonix's plugin, but the compiler is in:

/usr/bin/gnatgcc  link to compiler driver if you installed package gnat
/usr/bin/gcc      link to compiler driver if you installed package gcc
/usr/bin/gcc-4.1  real compiler driver from package gcc-4.1
/usr/lib/gcc/<platform>/4.1.2/gnat1  real compiler from package gnat-4.1

So, maybe the best answer is: install package gcc.  But I'm not sure.

For more information see /usr/share/doc/gcc-defaults/README.Debian.gz.

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta (Ada maintainer in Debian).

* Re: Debian Etch GCC GNAT 4.1 / Aonbix ADT Eclipse Plugin
@ 2007-04-16 14:55   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2007-04-16 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 12:10 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Pieter Thysebaert <No@Spam.Wanted> writes:

> > Is there anyone who knows how to make the Aonix ADT plugin work together
> > with the GCC 4.1 based GNAT from Debian Etch?

> Sorry I can't help you with Aonix's plugin, but the compiler is in:
>
> /usr/bin/gnatgcc  link to compiler driver if you installed package gnat
> /usr/bin/gcc      link to compiler driver if you installed package gcc
> /usr/bin/gcc-4.1  real compiler driver from package gcc-4.1
> /usr/lib/gcc/<platform>/4.1.2/gnat1  real compiler from package gnat-4.1

I think that the plugin as it is now is built around some assumptions
about the relative paths of a GNAT installation, where GNAT installation
refers to GPL GNAT from AdaCore.

Perhaps Pieter's and others' question can trigger some interest in
including the ADT plugin into the semi-free section of debian per
http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/adt/

* Re: Debian Etch GCC GNAT 4.1 / Aonbix ADT Eclipse Plugin
@ 2007-04-16 15:27     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-04-16 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus writes:
> On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 12:10 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> Pieter Thysebaert writes:
>
>> > Is there anyone who knows how to make the Aonix ADT plugin work together
>> > with the GCC 4.1 based GNAT from Debian Etch?
>
>> Sorry I can't help you with Aonix's plugin, but the compiler is in:
>>
>> /usr/bin/gnatgcc  link to compiler driver if you installed package gnat
>> /usr/bin/gcc      link to compiler driver if you installed package gcc
>> /usr/bin/gcc-4.1  real compiler driver from package gcc-4.1
>> /usr/lib/gcc/<platform>/4.1.2/gnat1  real compiler from package gnat-4.1
>
> I think that the plugin as it is now is built around some assumptions
> about the relative paths of a GNAT installation, where GNAT installation
> refers to GPL GNAT from AdaCore.

I agree.  Although I've never used it myself (I don't even have a JVM
installed), I've seen several pieces of user feedback that point in
that direction.  According to my gut feeling, it is a mistake to make
assumptions in the case of GNAT; it is better to just look for
"gnatmake" and "gnat ls", like Stephe's ada-mode for emacs now does.

It could be, too, that the plugin requires ASIS (packages libasis-dev,
asis-programs) for source beautification.

> Perhaps Pieter's and others' question can trigger some interest in
> including the ADT plugin into the semi-free section of debian per
> http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/adt/

Yes, I hope so too, but don't count on me for that.  As I said, I
don't even have a JVM installed, much less eclipse, so I'm not going
to install a whole Java toolchain just for this project.  OTOH I'm
more than willing to answer questions if someone steps in to do this
packaging.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* SOLVED: Debian Etch GCC GNAT 4.1 / Aonbix ADT Eclipse Plugin
@ 2007-04-17  7:25 ` Pieter Thysebaert
From: Pieter Thysebaert @ 2007-04-17  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:33:37 +0200, Pieter Thysebaert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm on Debian GNU/Linux Etch and have installed GCC 4.1 along with the
> corresponding GNAT packages.
>
> I also have Eclipse 3.2 installed and downloaded (through Eclipse Software
> Updates) the Aonix ADT plugin.
>
> My problem is that the ADT does not pick up Etch's GCC GNAT 4.1 toolchain
> (when selecting GNAT Linux Toolchain), no matter what directory I feed it
> (I naively thought that setting the toolchain path to /usr/bin would do
> the trick).

Well, I have "solved" my problem. It turns out that specifying "/usr" as
the toolchain path (instead of /usr/bin) does the trick...(i.e. makesd
Ao Aonix ADT pick up and recognize the GNAT toolchain).

Pieter

* Re: SOLVED: Debian Etch GCC GNAT 4.1 / Aonbix ADT Eclipse Plugin
@ 2007-04-17 11:49   ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-04-17 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pieter Thysebaert wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:33:37 +0200, Pieter Thysebaert wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm on Debian GNU/Linux Etch and have installed GCC 4.1 along with the
>> corresponding GNAT packages.
>>
>> I also have Eclipse 3.2 installed and downloaded (through Eclipse Software
>> Updates) the Aonix ADT plugin.
>>
>> My problem is that the ADT does not pick up Etch's GCC GNAT 4.1 toolchain
>> (when selecting GNAT Linux Toolchain), no matter what directory I feed it
>> (I naively thought that setting the toolchain path to /usr/bin would do
>> the trick).
>>

> Well, I have "solved" my problem. It turns out that specifying "/usr" as
> the toolchain path (instead of /usr/bin) does the trick...(i.e. makesd
> Ao Aonix ADT pick up and recognize the GNAT toolchain).
>
> Pieter

Actually that is a good tip and makes sense. The way the plugin works,
it needs to find more than just the compiler and tools - it needs
libraries, specs, etc.

* Re: SOLVED: Debian Etch GCC GNAT 4.1 / Aonix ADT Eclipse Plugin
@ 2007-04-17 15:09     ` Tom Grosman
From: Tom Grosman @ 2007-04-17 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
8roef4-v41.ln1@newserver.thecreems.com...
> Pieter Thysebaert wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:33:37 +0200, Pieter Thysebaert wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm on Debian GNU/Linux Etch and have installed GCC 4.1 along with the
>>> corresponding GNAT packages.
>>>
>>> I also have Eclipse 3.2 installed and downloaded (through Eclipse
>>> Software
>>> Updates) the Aonix ADT plugin.
>>>
>>> My problem is that the ADT does not pick up Etch's GCC GNAT 4.1
>>> toolchain
>>> (when selecting GNAT Linux Toolchain), no matter what directory I feed
>>> it
>>> (I naively thought that setting the toolchain path to /usr/bin would do
>>> the trick).
>>>

>> Well, I have "solved" my problem. It turns out that specifying "/usr" as
>> the toolchain path (instead of /usr/bin) does the trick...(i.e. makesd
>> Ao Aonix ADT pick up and recognize the GNAT toolchain).
>>
>> Pieter
>>

> Actually that is a good tip and makes sense. The way the plugin works, it
> needs to find more than just the compiler and tools - it needs libraries,
> specs, etc.

As I explained to Pieter, In order for AonixADT to recognize a gnat
toolchain, The "toolchain directory" that is specified should contain the
gnat bin subdirectory (gnat executables are located here) to which you
should have execution permission. AonixADT then checks within the gnat bin
directory for the presence of the executable file "gnatmake" to determine if
you have specified a valid toolchain location. So far, this seems to work no
matter the O/S nor compilation environment (gnuada, GNATPRO).

-Tom

* Re: SOLVED: Debian Etch GCC GNAT 4.1 / Aonix ADT Eclipse Plugin
@ 2007-04-17 16:58       ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2007-04-17 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Grosman wrote:
.. AonixADT then checks within the gnat
> bin
> directory for the presence of the executable file "gnatmake" to
> determine if
> you have specified a valid toolchain location.

Won't work for cross-compilers that have a prefix (eg
powerpc-wrs-vxworks-gnatmake).  So, you might want to search for
filenames containing the "gnatmake" substring if you don't already
(though I suspect you may in order to handle the Windows case).

- Ed

* Re: SOLVED: Debian Etch GCC GNAT 4.1 / Aonix ADT Eclipse Plugin
@ 2007-04-17 20:29         ` Tom Grosman
From: Tom Grosman @ 2007-04-17 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)