* Using Gnat Ada and gtkada Glade
@ 2011-02-19 10:44 tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2011-02-19 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I successfully used the GUI builder glade 10 years ago to make a
desktop application. I have a need for it now and I went back to use
it and I notice a few strange (to me) changes have been made and there
is no button to build the specifications (and bodies) . I am using
ubuntu 10.04 and the related gtkada gnat gnat-gps etc.
  Does anyone know how to build the specs from the glade file?

* Re: Using Gnat Ada and gtkada Glade
@ 2011-02-19 13:39 ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2011-02-19 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 19, 10:44 am, tonyg <tonytheg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I successfully used the GUI builder glade 10 years ago to make a
> desktop application. I have a need for it now and I went back to use
> it and I notice a few strange (to me) changes have been made and there
> is no button to build the specifications (and bodies) . I am using
> ubuntu 10.04 and the related gtkada gnat gnat-gps etc.
>   Does anyone know how to build the specs from the glade file?

On further investigation gate2 seems to be the way however I am not
convinced I am using the right version of gate with the right version
of glade.

I am using glade 3.67 on ubuntu 10.04 with gtkada 2.14 and I am
getting a constraint error from a simple test glade file when using
gate2.

Does anyone know if there are incompatibilities here, in fact is
anyone else here using gate2 with glade 3.67 ?

* Re: Using Gnat Ada and gtkada Glade
@ 2011-02-22 21:41 ` Rego
From: Rego @ 2011-02-22 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I got a problem like this on Glade-2 for Windows. There is a button to Build the code, but it returns:

all.ada:1:01: compilation unit expected
all.ada: parse errors detected
all.ada: chop may not be successful
no compilation units found
no source files written

But entering the batch, I found out that if one executes
   gate-in.exe project.glade > all.ada
   gnatchop -w all.ada
it generates the source codes. But it does not generate the project_main.adb file, what is my issue.

Maybe you can look for an application like gate-in in your ubuntu gtkada installation (could be a hint).

* Re: Using Gnat Ada and gtkada Glade
@ 2011-02-22 22:40   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2011-02-22 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rego writes on comp.lang.ada:
> I got a problem like this on Glade-2 for Windows. There is a button to
> Build the code, but it returns:
>
> all.ada:1:01: compilation unit expected
> all.ada: parse errors detected
> all.ada: chop may not be successful
> no compilation units found
> no source files written
>
> But entering the batch, I found out that if one executes
>    gate-in.exe project.glade > all.ada
>    gnatchop -w all.ada
> it generates the source codes. But it does not generate the
> project_main.adb file, what is my issue.
>
> Maybe you can look for an application like gate-in in your ubuntu
> gtkada installation (could be a hint).

That would be /usr/bin/gate2, which calls
/usr/lib/ada/adalib/gtkada2/bin/gate2-in.exe.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Using Gnat Ada and gtkada Glade
@ 2011-02-23 14:47     ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2011-02-23 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've solved the problems I had before (I'm on a new set - trying to
task with a gtkada fronted :) )

What I discovered -

1) Ubuntu 10.04 has a bug where gate-in.exe is contained in an /usr/
lib/ada/adalib/gtkada2/exe/ directory rather than the /usr/lib/ada/
adalib/gtkada2/bin/ directory where gate is looking for it. So I
created the bin directory and copied it across.

2) gate does not like the 'table' container widget. So now I am using
Vertical boxes as containers. (Gate generates a constraint error with
tables). So watch your widgets!

Good to see other folk are using gtkada. I just noticed that Dimitry
Kazakov has made a gtkada contributions package which does something
with gtkada tasking so I am going to take a look. For those of you who
do not know, Dimitry has been sent from the future to help ada
programmers.

* Re: Using Gnat Ada and gtkada Glade
@ 2011-02-23 16:09       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2011-02-23 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

tonyg wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> 1) Ubuntu 10.04 has a bug where gate-in.exe is contained in an /usr/
> lib/ada/adalib/gtkada2/exe/ directory rather than the /usr/lib/ada/
> adalib/gtkada2/bin/ directory where gate is looking for it. So I
> created the bin directory and copied it across.

OK, that means you had a version of libgtkad2-bin older than 2.14.2-2
(the current version is 2.14.2-4). And thanks to Nicolas Boulenguez
for finding and fixing this bug 10 months ago:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/libg/libgtkada2/news/20100424T100348Z.html

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Using Gnat Ada and gtkada Glade
@ 2011-02-23 18:40         ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2011-02-23 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 23, 4:09 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> tonyg wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>
> > 1) Ubuntu 10.04 has a bug where gate-in.exe is contained in an /usr/
> > lib/ada/adalib/gtkada2/exe/ directory rather than the /usr/lib/ada/
> > adalib/gtkada2/bin/ directory where gate is looking for it. So I
> > created the bin directory and copied it across.
>
> OK, that means you had a version of libgtkad2-bin older than 2.14.2-2
> (the current version is 2.14.2-4). And thanks to Nicolas Boulenguez
> for finding and fixing this bug 10 months ago:
>
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/libg/libgtkada2/news/20100424T100348Z.html
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

HHhhmm, maybe I should switch to debian...

* Re: Using Gnat Ada and gtkada Glade
@ 2011-02-23 18:53           ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2011-02-23 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tonyg

Le 23/02/2011 19:40, tonyg a �crit :
> HHhhmm, maybe I should switch to debian...

Given the hard work Ludovic, Xavier and some others are giving to make
sure Ada on Debian is in good shape... I think so!

--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

* Re: Using Gnat Ada and gtkada Glade
@ 2011-02-23 21:40             ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2011-02-23 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 23, 6:53 pm, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
> Le 23/02/2011 19:40, tonyg a crit :
>
> > HHhhmm, maybe I should switch to debian...
>
> Given the hard work Ludovic, Xavier and some others are giving to make
> sure Ada on Debian is in good shape... I think so!
>
> --
>
> --|------------------------------------------------------
> --| Pascal Obry                           Team-Ada Member
> --| 45, rue Gabriel Peri - 78114 Magny Les Hameaux FRANCE
> --|------------------------------------------------------
> --|    http://www.obry.net -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
> --| "The best way to travel is by means of imagination"
> --|
> --| gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B

My apologies Ludovic if I caused offence, people like me depend on
yours and many others excellent work which you give to the community
freely.

* Re: Using Gnat Ada and gtkada Glade
@ 2011-02-23 23:20               ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2011-02-23 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

tonyg writes:
> On Feb 23, 6:53 pm, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
>> Le 23/02/2011 19:40, tonyg a crit :
>>
>> > HHhhmm, maybe I should switch to debian...
>>
>> Given the hard work Ludovic, Xavier and some others are giving to make
>> sure Ada on Debian is in good shape... I think so!
>
> My apologies Ludovic if I caused offence, people like me depend on
> yours and many others excellent work which you give to the community
> freely.

No offense taken, quite to the contrary :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.