From: alb348@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Ada bindings for filesystems
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 06:49:34 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-09-07T06:49:34-07:00	[thread overview]

Thanks indeed for your suggestions, Dirk and Dmitry.

I must admit that I didn't know about GIO, and I had to look it up in Wikipedia [1]. I am not sure if GIO is what I was looking for, because this solution seems to be integrated within the Gnome framework, while I was looking for something as simple as possible, something independent of any larger framework. I don't want to add unnecessary infrastructures, if I can avoid it. After all, I simply need to access some filesystem functions, so why should I need Gnome?
The stumbling block, for me, is that I have no experience with writing bindings, and I doubt I would be able to create bindings for the extended attributes. That is why I was looking for available ready-made solutions. Something along the lines of what Dirk was suggesting: bindings to low-level functions of the filesystem.

Has anyone here some experience with binding Ada to low-level (filesystem) functions? Could you at least point me to the right direction to doing that?

Thanks

Alby

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIO_(GNOME)