* GNAT 2011 - some mixed feelings
@ 2011-06-17 11:18 Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2011-06-17 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, after two days of trying, I was finally able to download the
packages. :-)

I'm pleased to note that the package for Mac OS X finally got the g++
compiler as part of the whole suite (as was always the case for other
platforms).
I regret to report, however, that this combination is probably broken.
I have a project that works perfectly fine on Linux (GNAT GPL & FSF),
FreeBSD (GNAT-AUX), and Windows (GPL), but on Mac the program hangs at
the beginning without even reaching the first line of its main
procedure. I'm a bit lost with how to diagnose it, but will surely
report more when I find out what is wrong.
(any help is highly welcome, I will provide the necessary details on
demand)

I have also noticed that gnatmake changed its behavior with regard to
the following in library project files:

   for Library_Dir use ".";

I use such lines to link with standard libraries written in "other
languages". In previous versions, this allowed the linker to find such
library on one of its standard search paths - now it tries to read the
library file in the current directory, which fails and requires manual
modification of such project file.
I will agree that the current behavior is actually correct (after all,
that's what dot means...), but then - how can I instruct the linker to
really search on its standard paths?

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.msobczak.com * http://www.inspirel.com

* Re: GNAT 2011 - some mixed feelings
@ 2011-06-18 15:53 ` MRE
From: MRE @ 2011-06-18 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Or rather: not really mixed feelings. After installation of the 2011
version on Snow Leopard,
I can't run GPS any more, it croaks telling me:

>dyld: Library not loaded: /lena.a/gnatmail/gcc-45/install-lena/gtk/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib
>  Referenced from: /usr/local/gnat/bin/gps_exe
>  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
>        /usr/local/gnat/lib/gps/libglib-2.0.0.dylib: truncated mach-o error: segment __LINKEDIT extends to 1003216 which is past end >of file 999424
>Trace/BPT trap

Hmpf...

* Re: GNAT 2011 - some mixed feelings
@ 2011-06-18 16:35   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2011-06-18 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/18/11 5:53 PM, MRE wrote:
> Or rather: not really mixed feelings. After installation of the 2011
> version on Snow Leopard,
> I can't run GPS any more, it croaks telling me:
>
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /lena.a/gnatmail/gcc-45/install-lena/gtk/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib
>>   Referenced from: /usr/local/gnat/bin/gps_exe
>>   Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
>>         /usr/local/gnat/lib/gps/libglib-2.0.0.dylib: truncated mach-o error: segment __LINKEDIT extends to 1003216 which is past end>of file 999424
>> Trace/BPT trap
>
> Hmpf...

Runs fine here; the above looks a bit like DLL hell on
the part of Gtk installation(s).

* Re: GNAT 2011 - some mixed feelings
@ 2011-06-18 20:59   ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2011-06-18 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2011-06-18 10:53:38 -0500, MRE said:

> Or rather: not really mixed feelings. After installation of the 2011
> version on Snow Leopard,
> I can't run GPS any more, it croaks telling me:
>
>> dyld: Library not loaded:
>> /lena.a/gnatmail/gcc-45/install-lena/gtk/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib
>> Referenced from: /usr/local/gnat/bin/gps_exe
>> Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
>> /usr/local/gnat/lib/gps/libglib-2.0.0.dylib: truncated mach-o error:
>> segment __LINKEDIT extends to 1003216 which is past end >of file 999424
>> Trace/BPT trap

My first attempt at installing Gnat 2011 on Snow Leopard failed. I got
messages about GTK and libiconv2.  When I deleted all old content from
/usr/local/gnat and then installed again, it worked fine.

Try removing the entire older installation and then install again.

* Re: GNAT 2011 - some mixed feelings
@ 2011-06-19  8:41     ` MRE
From: MRE @ 2011-06-19  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Jun., 22:59, Robert Love <rbl...@airmail.net> wrote:
> On 2011-06-18 10:53:38 -0500, MRE said:
>
> > Or rather: not really mixed feelings. After installation of the 2011
> > version on Snow Leopard,
> > I can't run GPS any more, it croaks telling me:
>
> >> dyld: Library not loaded:
> >> /lena.a/gnatmail/gcc-45/install-lena/gtk/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib
> >> Referenced from: /usr/local/gnat/bin/gps_exe
> >> Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
> >> /usr/local/gnat/lib/gps/libglib-2.0.0.dylib: truncated mach-o error:
> >> segment __LINKEDIT extends to 1003216 which is past end >of file 999424
> >> Trace/BPT trap
>
> My first attempt at installing Gnat 2011 on Snow Leopard failed. I got
> messages about GTK and libiconv2.  When I deleted all old content from
> /usr/local/gnat and then installed again, it worked fine.
>
> Try removing the entire older installation and then install again.

Did that. It would seem I got a broken library. After copying an
existing libglib over the one
in the the GNAT installation it worked quite nicely. As I said.
Hmpf ;-)