From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: Ada at FOSDEM 2007... call for participants
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 23:08:12 +0200
Date: 2006-10-09T23:08:12+02:00	[thread overview]

Björn Persson <spam-away@nowhere.nil> writes:
>> Yes, these are nice criteria, but they reflect code quality and not
>> usefulness.
>
> Perhaps, but I think good documentation makes a library more useful.

Yes indeed.  But quality (of the program and documentation) alone does
guarantee usefulness.  I could write a beautiful, well-documented but
useless program.

>> Your idea of "most useful library" is quite good.  How about this: the
>> c.l.a. people submit ideas for a small library, or addition to an
>> existing library, and during FOSDEM we choose the best implementation
>> and present an award?
>
> Do you mean you'd select one or a few of the submitted ideas? Then
> it's starting to sound like two contests – first a contest for the
> best idea for a library and then a contest for the best
> implementation. But maybe it would be good to have a defined task like
> that. Otherwise the entries might be so different that they'd be
> difficult to compare.

Yes.  I was also keeping in mind that the "contest" would have to fit
within severe space and time constraints, so maybe it would be best to
only hold an award ceremony at FOSDEM.  Perhaps we could allow the
contestants to present their program.  Or just the winner, if the
program is large and non-trivial.

--
Ludovic Brenta.