* using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-07 19:08 John Stoneham
From: John Stoneham @ 2007-12-07 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry if this isn't the proper place to ask this, but maybe somebody
can help. Previously, I've used svn command-line tools for version
control, and now I've decided to try out the VCS interface built into
GPS. But I can't seem to get it to work.

I'm using GNAT GPL 2007-2 for Windows (GPS 4.1.3), and have my project
set to use Subversion for VCS. Any VCS operation results in an error,
and the Messages window shows that the path which is passed to the svn
command begins with "/cygdrive/" instead of the actual project path.

This is on a project which already has already been checked out and
updated/committed/etc many times via the command line, so it's not a
problem with svn on my system.

Is this a "known issue" with GPS 4.1.3 on Windows, or is there a
configuration option I'm missing somewhere?

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-08 10:17 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2007-12-08 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Stoneham <captnjameskirk@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry if this isn't the proper place to ask this, but maybe somebody
> can help. Previously, I've used svn command-line tools for version
> control, and now I've decided to try out the VCS interface built into
> GPS. But I can't seem to get it to work.
>
> I'm using GNAT GPL 2007-2 for Windows (GPS 4.1.3), and have my project
> set to use Subversion for VCS. Any VCS operation results in an error,
> and the Messages window shows that the path which is passed to the svn
> command begins with "/cygdrive/" instead of the actual project path.

I'm guessing that you are using the Cygwin implementation of
Subversion, and you followed the misleading standard Cygwin
installation defaults.

You should uninstall Cygwin, and reinstall at C:/. The default is
C:/cygwin, and the installer will complain if you change it to C:/;
ignore the complaint.

When you do this, Cygwin mounts "/" as "c:/". Then all Windows paths
(c:/foo/bar) are the same as all Cygwin paths (/foo/bar), for the C:
drive.

If you have stuff on other drives, Cygwin will use /cygdrive/d/...
etc. Then you have to mess with cygpath, which gets very messy very
quickly.

> Is this a "known issue" with GPS 4.1.3 on Windows, or is there a
> configuration option I'm missing somewhere?

This is a Cygwin issue, not a GPS issue. Although I suppose GPS could
be taught how to deal with Cygwin. I doubt that will happen.

Another alternative is to find a native Windows implementation of
Subversion.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-08 10:53   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2007-12-08 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake

Stephen Leake a �crit :
> This is a Cygwin issue, not a GPS issue. Although I suppose GPS could
> be taught how to deal with Cygwin. I doubt that will happen.

Mind you, It has happened already :)

The problem here is that GPS expect a Cygwin/Subversion but I suspect
John is using a win32 native one. If it is the case then you should
enable the Subversion native plug-ins, this is possible on recent GPS
version, don't know if the one you are using has this feature.

Hum...

> GNAT GPL 2007-2 for Windows (GPS 4.1.3)

So I think you don't have this plug-in. You can edit your subversion.xml
plug-in to change the path_style attribute, look at the documentation
for the possible values.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-08 11:53     ` John Stoneham
From: John Stoneham @ 2007-12-08 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 8, 4:53 am, Pascal Obry wrote:
> Stephen Leake wrote:
>
> > This is a Cygwin issue, not a GPS issue.

Actually, I don't have cygwin installed at all and my Subversion is a
native win32 build, so this appears to be a GPS issue after all (see
below).

> You can edit your subversion.xml plug-in to change the path_style
> attribute, look at the documentation for the possible values.

BINGO! Contrary to the GPS docs, the path_style default is *not*
"System_Default" but rather "CYGWIN". When I change it to
"System_Default" it now works. It seems that someone forgot to fix
that little variable before the release build was created.

In case anyone comes across this same problem, the location of the
subversion.xml file is in the "share\gps\plug-ins" folder where GNAT
was installed (the default location is "C:\GNAT").

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-08 14:04       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2007-12-08 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Stoneham

John Stoneham a �crit :
> "System_Default" it now works. It seems that someone forgot to fix
> that little variable before the release build was created.

No, this is the default on Win32. Recent GPS versions come with two
plug-ins, one for Cygwin and one for native Win32 as I mentioned in my
previous mail.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-09 10:28         ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2007-12-09 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net> writes:

> John Stoneham a �crit :
>> "System_Default" it now works. It seems that someone forgot to fix
>> that little variable before the release build was created.
>
> No, this is the default on Win32. Recent GPS versions come with two
> plug-ins, one for Cygwin and one for native Win32 as I mentioned in my
> previous mail.

I don't use either GPS or Subversion, but I would certainly expect
System_Default to be the native Win32 subverison, not the Cygwin one.

Please don't make another bad choice for default values of options in
a gnat-related tool!

--
-- Stephe

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-09 10:55           ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2007-12-09 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake

Stephen Leake a �crit :
> I don't use either GPS or Subversion, but I would certainly expect
> System_Default to be the native Win32 subverison, not the Cygwin one.

And that's the case. I think you mis-understood my previous message. It
is just that on Windows the value for path_style was set to CYGWIN
instead of System_Default as, on Windows, it seems that most people are
using Cygwin/Subversion. If you set it to System_Default then it is
properly behaving as reported by the OP. Don't see anything wrong here.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-09 12:42             ` Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2007-12-09 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> And that's the case. I think you mis-understood my previous message. It
> is just that on Windows the value for path_style was set to CYGWIN
> instead of System_Default as, on Windows, it seems that most people are
> using Cygwin/Subversion. If you set it to System_Default then it is
> properly behaving as reported by the OP. Don't see anything wrong here.

For what it's worth, I'm on Windows and I'm using the Cygwin subversion
client, so the defaults are fine for me. :-)

Peter

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-09 13:11             ` John Stoneham
From: John Stoneham @ 2007-12-09 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 9, 4:55 am, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
> It is just that on Windows the value for path_style was set to CYGWIN
> instead of System_Default

Then why do the docs state otherwise?
http://www.adacore.com/wp-content/files/auto_update/gps-docs/The-VCS-node.html
Note that it clearly states "System_Default" is the default.

> as, on Windows, it seems that most people are
> using Cygwin/Subversion.

I would argue that the phrase "most people" should be somewhat
qualified. It is probably true that when someone builds GPS from
source they are using cygwin. But I believe that when someone
downloads the pre-built, native Windows binary of GPS they are
probably *not* using cygwin. (And most people using Subversion on
Windows are probably using TortoiseSVN anyway.)

> Don't see anything wrong here.

Wow, I'm sorry but I think that's being a bit cavalier. I see four
things wrong: 1) the assumption that "most people" using a pre-built,
native Windows binary of GPS are using cygwin; 2) the docs still state
that "System_Default" is the path_style default when it has been
changed to "CYGWIN"; 3) there is nothing in a README file or anywhere
else that says "If you are not running Cygwin you need to edit
path_style"; and 4) there is no option within GPS itself to change it
(at least not in the most recently-available GPL binary).

I don't think I'm being overly picky here. Outside of the Cygwin
environment, the Subversion setting for VCS is broken in the Windows
binary release package. Sure, it's a simple fix *if* you know what's
wrong, and *if* you know where to fix it -- but it's still broken.

There should at least be a note to this effect in a README.

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-09 18:32               ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2007-12-09 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Stoneham <captnjameskirk@gmail.com> writes:

> Wow, I'm sorry but I think that's being a bit cavalier. I see four
> things wrong:

I support John's argument.

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-09 19:58               ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2007-12-09 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Stoneham

John Stoneham a �crit :
> Wow, I'm sorry but I think that's being a bit cavalier. I see four
> things wrong: 1) the assumption that "most people" using a pre-built,
> native Windows binary of GPS are using cygwin;

Many people I know are using the binary distribution of GPS but the
first thing they install on their Windows box to start working is
Cygwin. And not only for Subversion, but for ssh, rsync, scp, X11, bash,
xterm, emacs, awk, sed... And not for building GPS but for working on
their daily projects.

> 2) the docs still state
> that "System_Default" is the path_style default when it has been
> changed to "CYGWIN";

You are speaking of the value set by default. The doc state the default
value (when no value is specified). The doc is not for the Subversion,
CVS or any other supplied VCS but for writing a new VCS yourself. And
yes when no value is specified then System_Default is used. That's true,
the doc is correct.

> 3) there is nothing in a README file or anywhere
> else that says "If you are not running Cygwin you need to edit
> path_style"; and

No need for that, see below.

> 4) there is no option within GPS itself to change it
> (at least not in the most recently-available GPL binary).

That's indeed the case. In recent version of GPS you can chose the
Subversion mode you want (Cygwin or Native).

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-09 23:45                 ` John Stoneham
From: John Stoneham @ 2007-12-09 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 9, 1:58 pm, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
> John Stoneham a écrit :
>
> > Wow, I'm sorry but I think that's being a bit cavalier. I see four
> > things wrong: 1) the assumption that "most people" using a pre-built,
> > native Windows binary of GPS are using cygwin;
>
> Many people I know are using the binary distribution of GPS but the
> first thing they install on their Windows box to start working is
> Cygwin. And not only for Subversion, but for ssh, rsync, scp, X11, bash,
> xterm, emacs, awk, sed... And not for building GPS but for working on
> their daily projects.

Good for them. But I doubt this small sample represents the majority
of users downloading the pre-built GPL Windows binary.

> > 2) the docs still state
> > that "System_Default" is the path_style default when it has been
> > changed to "CYGWIN";
>
> You are speaking of the value set by default. The doc state the default
> value (when no value is specified). The doc is not for the Subversion,
> CVS or any other supplied VCS but for writing a new VCS yourself. And
> yes when no value is specified then System_Default is used. That's true,
> the doc is correct.

What do you call the value that is already set when a program is
installed? I'd say that's called a "default value", wouldn't you?
Regardless, you are saying that the internal "default value", when no
value is specified, is deemed to be "System_Default". That sounds like
a very important value if it's picked to be the default. But even so,
the value as shipped is *not* "System_Default", and there is no
documentation to that effect, and no documentation on which file is
affected or where it is located.

> > 3) there is nothing in a README file or anywhere
> > else that says "If you are not running Cygwin you need to edit
> > path_style"; and
>
> No need for that, see below.

Again, this is just being cavalier. See below.

> > 4) there is no option within GPS itself to change it
> > (at least not in the most recently-available GPL binary).
>
> That's indeed the case. In recent version of GPS you can chose the
> Subversion mode you want (Cygwin or Native).

There most certainly is a need for it, since the most current binary
GPL edition is the one I'm discussing and the one affected. I guess
you're speaking of the "Pro" product, or maybe a snapshot build. I'm
glad to see the issue has been addressed, even if it's not yet
available in the pre-built GPL edition. Evidently I wasn't the only
one who had a problem with it.

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-10  7:17                   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2007-12-10  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Stoneham

John Stoneham a �crit :
> Again, this is just being cavalier. See below.

If saying that something has already been fixed is cavalier, then ok.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-10 10:40                     ` John Stoneham
From: John Stoneham @ 2007-12-10 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 10, 1:17 am, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:

> If saying that something has already been fixed is cavalier, then ok.

Saying that it's not an issue because it's been fixed in the version
you use (so it's not a problem for you), and ignoring the fact that
the fix is NOT available to those who use the binary GPL distribution
(so it IS still a problem for them) -- THAT is being cavalier.

But that's fine. I understand that this is the general attitude
towards the GPL users, that we should be grateful we're getting
anything at all so we should just quit complaining about bugs which
are already fixed in a version we won't see for another year.

* Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
@ 2007-12-12 20:32                       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2007-12-12 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Stoneham writes:
> On Dec 10, 1:17 am, Pascal Obry wrote:
>>
>> If saying that something has already been fixed is cavalier, then ok.
>>

> Saying that it's not an issue because it's been fixed in the version
> you use (so it's not a problem for you), and ignoring the fact that
> the fix is NOT available to those who use the binary GPL distribution
> (so it IS still a problem for them) -- THAT is being cavalier.
>
> But that's fine. I understand that this is the general attitude
> towards the GPL users, that we should be grateful we're getting
> anything at all so we should just quit complaining about bugs which
> are already fixed in a version we won't see for another year.

It is true that you might not see another GNAT GPL release for another
6 months (I think you can expect the next release around May 2008),
and that you don't get any support from AdaCore.  However, the
Subversion repository where AdaCore develop GPS is publicly available.
Nothing stops you from compiling GPS for yourself.  I understand that
you might not have the energy or knowledge to do all that on your
own. This is why collaborative projects such as Debian and The GNU Ada
Project exist.  Debian for example provided GPS 4.0 months before it
became available in a GNAT GPL release, by taking the sources directly
from the repository.

--
Ludovic Brenta.