From: Samuel Tardieu <sam@rfc1149.net>
Subject: Re: Ada ARM Linux Compiler
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:39:00 +0200
Date: 2008-07-01T09:40:02+02:00	[thread overview]

>>>>> "Gene" == Gene  <gene.ressler@gmail.com> writes:

Bryan> Does anyone know if it is possible to generate a cross build of gcc
Bryan> with ada support that targets an ARM processor, specifically a
Bryan> gumstix embedded board with Marvell Xscale PXA270? The host is an
Bryan> x86 machine running ubuntu. If it is possible does anyone have a
Bryan> quick step by step what do i need to build and where are the
Bryan> possible traps? I have tried using the build environment for the
Bryan> gumstix with no success, gcc always fails with a rather cryptic
Bryan> error message usually involving some kind of source code error. Any
Bryan> help would be greatly appreciated.

Gene> Thanks!  I'm very interested in this as well.  Some of my folks
Gene> tried pretty hard and could not get it to work, but that was 2
Gene> versions of gcc ago.  We could build a cross-compiler, but never
Gene> a usable runtime, so we gave up.  I wrote AdaCore asking what it
Gene> would cost for them to do the work and received no reply.

Bryan, Gene,

if you want to give it a try, I produced a quick patch for the latest
GCC SVN trunk which may work or may not work.

You must:

  - fetch the latest GCC sources from the FSF, SVN trunk, see

      http://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html

    to retrieve the sources

  - apply the patch found at

      http://www.rfc1149.net/tmp/arm-linux-gnat-port.patch

  - build and install a native Ada+C compiler from those patched
    sources

  - build and install a cross compiler from those patched sources
    using the compiler built previously (it is important to have the
    cross-compiler built from a native compiler using the same
    version)

I do not have any ARM board to test it. Please keep me informed
privately (maybe keeping each other in Cc:) of how it went, so that I
can add this patch to the GCC sources if it is working for you.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/