From: "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
Subject: Re: Programming in Linux – Cold Start.
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:54:37 +0100
Date: 2013-12-12T19:54:37+01:00	[thread overview]

Austin Obyrne <austin.obyrne@hotmail.com> writes:

> I’m planning to have a go at programming crypto ciphers in Linux and am totally vague about how to get started.
>
> My computer has dual booting for Windows 7 & 8 and I would like to
> know if it is advisable to try partitioning my hard drive further so
> to include Linux or should I consider an extra external drive??
>
> Apart from that can anybody suggest which version of Linux is best for
> programming in Ada.
>
> Is it possible to purchase a CD ROM of an Ada compiler (I detest
> longwinded downloading and the possibility of a load of malware coming
> with it).

From Linux to ada Hello world in 30 seconds:

    $ apt-get install gnat
    […]
    $ ./hw
    Hello, world!
    $ cat >hw.adb <<EOF
    with Ada.Text_IO; use Ada.Text_IO;
    procedure Hello is
    begin
      Put_Line ("Hello, world!");
    end Hello;
    EOF
    $ gnat make hw.adb
    $ ./hw
    Hello, world!
    $

Now, if you really want it, I suppose I could be bothered to burn a CD
with gnat on it, and send it to you, for $256, S&H included.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/