* ADA compiler and ELF object format
@ 2001-11-26 13:50 Sandro Binetti
From: Sandro Binetti @ 2001-11-26 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody.

How coul'd I move the .data section into the .bss section of an ELF
object?
I've seen that leaving uninitialized the variables inside my ADA
program does move the object allocation from the .data section into
the .bss one. Is there another way to achieve the same result?

Ah, I'm using a GHS Ada Multi Compiler for Sparc.

Tnx, Sandro.

* Re: ADA compiler and ELF object format
@ 2001-11-26 19:52 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-11-26 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <877f1a1d.0111260550.182cd41d@posting.google.com>, Sandro Binetti
says...
>How coul'd I move the .data section into the .bss section of an ELF
>object?
>I've seen that leaving uninitialized the variables inside my ADA
>program does move the object allocation from the .data section into
>the .bss one. Is there another way to achieve the same result?
>
>Ah, I'm using a GHS Ada Multi Compiler for Sparc.

You'd be pretty lucky to find someone who has messed around a lot with object
file formats for that particular compiler hanging out here (but it could
happen).

You may have better luck asking Green Hills support.

---

However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* RE: ADA compiler and ELF object format
@ 2001-11-27  1:14   ` Steven Deller
From: Steven Deller @ 2001-11-27  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

In ELF (and COFF and a.out formats), .bss is "uninitialized" data and .data
is "initialized data".  Period.  In BSS, there is no stored value in the
object file, just recognition of "space needed" with any symbols for the
structures pointing to that space.  With DATA, there is a value on the disk
that must be loaded into memory.

You don't get to move items back and forth between these.  Data are in their
respective locations because the data either does, or does not, have an
initial value.

As you noted, eliminating an initial value moves an item from .data to .bss.
No surprise.

FYI, BSS per http://mist.npl.washington.edu/faq/unix-FAQ-1-3.html
      bss = "Block Started by Symbol"

	Dennis Ritchie says:

	    Actually the acronym (in the sense we took it up; it may
	    have other credible etymologies) is "Block Started by
	    Symbol." It was a pseudo-op in FAP (Fortran Assembly [-er?]
	    Program), an assembler for the IBM 704-709-7090-7094
	    machines.  It defined its label and set aside space for a
	    given number of words.  There was another pseudo-op, BES,
	    "Block Ended by Symbol" that did the same except that the
	    label was defined by the last assigned word + 1.  (On these
	    machines Fortran arrays were stored backwards in storage
	    and were 1-origin.)

	    The usage is reasonably appropriate, because just as with
	    standard Unix loaders, the space assigned didn't have to be
	    punched literally into the object deck but was represented
	    by a count somewhere.

Regards,
Steve
"Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."
Steven Deller        Smooth Sailing LLC
410 757 6924         deller@smsail.com

@ 2001-11-27  3:57 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-11-27  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

sandrobinetti@yahoo.com (Sandro Binetti) wrote in message news:<877f1a1d.0111260550.182cd41d@posting.google.com>...
> Hi everybody.
>
> How coul'd I move the .data section into the .bss section of an ELF
> object?
> I've seen that leaving uninitialized the variables inside my ADA
> program does move the object allocation from the .data section into
> the .bss one. Is there another way to achieve the same result?
>
> Ah, I'm using a GHS Ada Multi Compiler for Sparc.
>
> Tnx, Sandro.

Surely this is the kind of question that you should
ask your vendor to sort out for you, since the answer
is highly compiler specific.