From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Sequential_IO Data Portability
Date: 2000/01/31
Date: 2000-01-31T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3895E8B2.AD802742@SpamJam.gecm.com>,
  Tony Matthews <tony.matthews@SpamJam.gecm.com> wrote:

> So that's the background. If anyone has any practical experience
(positive or negative) of sharing binary
> files between Linux, LynxOs, SCO and/or Windows NT using GNAT95 I
would be delighted to hear from you.

I managed to swing it using stream I/O attributes between NT/Gnat and
GreenHills/vxWorks. I had to examine the output of one with a hex editor
and modify what was done explicitly to match on both platforms. In this
effort I was helped by the fact that both architectures were the same
(PC). If I had to swap bytes on multibyte objects it would have been a
real pain.

This kind of thing is *not* easily extensible and obviously can't claim
any kind of portability.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/