From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: AWS install problems
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 12:05:26 +0200
Date: 2010-05-15T12:05:26+02:00	[thread overview]

brett <user@compgroups.net/> writes:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to install the AWS package so that I might try eMail access
> from an Ada program,
>
> I'm using GNAT/GPS 2005 under Sidux 2009-4

The Debian packages are meant for use with the Debian package "gnat", so
you do not need any GPL Edition.  Besides, 2005 GPL Edition is ancient
by now.  I suggest you deinstall it; chances are that you already have
the package "gnat" and "gnat-4.4" installed.

> I apt-get to installed the various GNAT AWS files from the Debian
> repository without problems, however when trying to access the AWS
> functions I encountered a few problems.
>
> Note: I have setup the two export variables thus:
>

> brett@sidux94:~$ export
> declare -x ADA_INCLUDE_PATH="/usr/share/ada/adainclude"
> declare -x ADA_OBJECTS_PATH="/usr/lib/ada/adalib"
>
> I also included the
>
> /usr/share/ada/adainclude
>
> in the GPS Project Properties  'source files' list

This is not the correct way to use the Debian packages and this explains
all your problems.  Read the proper instructions in the file
/usr/share/ada/adainclude/aws.gpr, follow the instructions therein and
all your problems will go away.

[...]
> This error is beyond my limited Ada knowledge to even contemplate a
> quick 'fix'

Read the Debian Policy for Ada, chapter 6, "Using shared libraries":

http://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html#Using-shared-libraries

--
Ludovic Brenta.