From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: some questions on installing Ada on Linux
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 21:13:23 +0200
Date: 2014-10-07T21:13:23+02:00	[thread overview]

brbarkstrom@gmail.com writes:
> After rereading section 3.2 (and subsections) of the Debian policy,
> I will make my life as an Ada (almost entirely) developer simpler by
> avoiding the Debian packaging as much as possible.  I do not have a
> staff to assiduously comb through other packages to deal with the rules.
> Also, I'm not trying to keep up with GNU GNAT.  I want the most stable
> environment I can get.  That will become particularly important as I
> start to work on an environment with concurrent processing, such as
> a beowulf Linux cluster using PolyORB and the AWS.  As I said, there
> are many dimensions to the decision.  I've made my choice.

Good luck compiling everything from source.

Debian package maintainers do all the "combing" for you and provide
precompiled packages.

But, if you use a derivative of Debian rather than Debian itself, you
might end up with packages that you cannot install concurrently.  This
depends on which versions of which packages the derivative (aka man in
the middle) chooses to carry.

The most stable Ada development *and deployment* environment in
existence today is Debian stable.

--
Ludovic Brenta.