From: Chris Morgan <mihalis@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: gnat310p on NT
Date: 1998/08/16
Date: 1998-08-16T22:22:26-05:00	[thread overview]

dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

> As I say, the conditions vary. In the case of the Realia COBOL compiler,
> the code generator was a single 35,000 line file. Not because, contrary
> to typical uninformed opinion, COBOL has no nice way of breaking things up
> into multiple files, but because only one person ever worked on this file
> (me) and it took only 20 seconds to compile on a slowish (386 25 MHz) PC
> which was quite acceptable.

"When I were a lad" our Ada compiler wouldn't have compiled such a
file as it seemed to have a hard limit of 32767 lines in a source
file. I found this out the hard way. Of course it would spend a long
time thinking about longer files before giving up, but then it was on
a VAX. Twenty seconds wasn't long enough for "hello world" if my
memory serves me correctly. "you tell kids today and they WONT believe
you". ;)

Chris

--
Chris Morgan <mihalis at ix.netcom.com> http://www.netcom.com/~mihalis