From: Jacob Sparre Andersen <jacob@jacob-sparre.dk>
Subject: Re: How to optimize use of RAM/disk access ?
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 09:45:00 +0100
Date: 2018-01-20T09:45:00+01:00	[thread overview]

reinert <reinkor@gmail.com> writes:

> I am developing an Ada program which I want automatically, more or
> less, to optimize its use of RAM and disk access.  Assume a number, N,
> controls/defines the size of a data set (for example N represents
> number of images which the program stores internally). Just now I am
> guessing a number, N, which I experience make my computer run the
> program the best way. However, when I change computer, I have to guess
> again :-)
>
> Any hint for how I can optimize a bit smarter?

Let your operating system worry about those things.  Load what you need
into the address space of your program, and leave it to the operating
system and CPU to decide what is stored on which cache level between
disk and CPU registers.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
»Saving keystrokes is the job of the text editor, not the
 programming language.«                    -- Preben Randhol