From: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
Subject: Re: Creating really small binaries?
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 00:34:17 +0200
Date: 2002-06-28T22:34:09+00:00	[thread overview]

Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

>> -O3 can only make executables larger, same with inlining, so this is
>> not a good idea!
>
> I believe I have seen programs where the combination of -O3 with
> inlining made things smaller.

If there's a platform on which GNAT supports subprogram-level linking
(I don't know if such a platform does exist), this could indeed
happen.  Without it, it's hardly believable, because the non-inlined
copy will be pulled in in almost all cases.

IIRC, C++ code which uses templates heavily benefits from inlining
also in terms of code size, but the GNAT implementation of generics is
so different that this effect cannot show up.