* Re: DOS to Windows Port - ObjectAda 7.1
       [not found] <871418132.22905@dejanews.com>
@ 1997-08-13  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1997-08-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <871418132.22905@dejanews.com> jtdossett@sep.com writes:

>I'd like to run a Windows GUI which polls the main real-time task for
>data and displays it periodically.  However, my attempts at adding this
>GUI have failed miserably.  I've read in the Win32Ada documentation that
>using tasks w/o window threads is usually okay, and running a single
>windows thread is okay, but if you try to mix the two, complications may
>occur.

>Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated!

This is admitedly a hobby horse of mine, but why mix functional and
user-interface code in one program ?

Add a monitor task to the bare-bones program and write an completely separate
GUI program to display the data. There are several ways both programs could
communicate under Win95, but using winsock your UI program could even run
another machine, of keep track of multiple test machines.
Even better, you could write another program polling the test monitor
regulary in the background and storing the data into a database for later
analysis.

Remember: pre-emptive multi-tasking and interproces communication are about
the only benefits Win95 has over DOS, so you better use it :-))

(of course, OS/2 would do this even better <g&d>)

--

-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Consultant     | Team Ada

only message in thread, other threads:[~1997-08-13  0:00 UTC | newest]