From: mooremj@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA ("MARTIN J. MOORE")
Subject: Re: Characters with codes >= 128
Date: Thu, 10-Sep-87 08:51:00 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Thu Sep 10 08:51:00 1987

> From: colbert <hermix!colbert@rand-unix.ARPA>

> Unfortunately, Martin Moore's solution is NOT portable either.  It only works
> because:
>                      [list of reasons]

He is absolutely correct.  My solution is non-portable and, as I pointed
out in my original message, erroneous as defined by the LRM.  My purpose in
posting it was to possibly help the original questioner, since the solution
does work on the VAX and may work on other machines.  It wasn't intended to be
a universal solution.  The approach suggested by Colbert et al is obviously
the way to go to provide portability.

				Martin Moore
------