From: hyland@kvasir.UUCP (Steve Hyland)
Subject: Re:  X and Ada?
Date: Tue, 8-Sep-87 12:25:12 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Tue Sep  8 12:25:12 1987

Paul:

Under contract to STARS, I am writing the Ada binding for X.
We have come up against some of the questions about call-backs and
a widget's event processing routine(s) that are registered with the
dispatcher. For the purposes of Ada, we realize that the manner in
which X ( specifically the toolkit ) does these things is not
realizable in the Ada version. It IS important to realize that
the normal way in which you process widgets is:

loop
  Next_Event ( THE_DISPLAY, THE_EVENT );
  Dispatch ( THE_EVENT );
end loop;

means that your parent window is always aware of events taking place
in one of its children (ignoring pointer, button and keyboard grabs).
It also means that you must explicitly handle these events (via a
case statement or some other construct).

For the most part, the Ada binding will conform to Version 11 of X.
However, while we may make some departures in the Toolbox which are caused
by the differences between C and Ada, the spirit of the Toolbox will
remain the same.

Steve Hyland
SAIC