From: larry@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV
Subject: Adathink
Date: Fri, 7-Aug-87 00:08:55 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Fri Aug  7 00:08:55 1987

As for as self-modifying code is concerned, I think those who've
done "AI-type" products find that very little code of this sort
is needed or desirable.  This is one reason why compilable LisP
is such a useful tool.  Self-referencing can also be done in
other ways than self-modifying code.

The relation between AI languages and Ada/C/etc. seems to be that
LisP/Smalltalk/etc. are very effective for exploratory pro-
gramming and prototyping, but when a system is to be delivered
it's best to translate it to a compiled language first.

As for control structures, this is a subject I'd like to see some
advice on too.  I'm writing an EMACS like text-processor and I'll
admit that I'm having problems with the over-all architecture.
(Maybe because I've been immersed for the past few months in C
code for several EMACSes and my perceptions have been corrupted!)

              Larry @ jpl-vlsi