From: ivanovic%vaxr.DECnet@LLL-ICDC.ARPA ("VAXR::IVANOVIC")
Subject: RE: Microsoft OS/2 -- Ideal for Ada
Date: Wed, 17-Jun-87 12:28:00 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Wed Jun 17 12:28:00 1987

I have a question for Yakim Martillo (bloom-beacon!martillo@husc6.harvard.edu).
It is NOT a religious question, but a technical one.  Yakim writes

    ... the Unix designers set out to define a true multi-user, multi-tasking,
    time-shared system with logical I/O and a limited virtual machine
    capability.  As far as I know Unix is one of the few systems which achieve
    this.  None of the IBM systems qualify, nor does VMS nor does Multics ...

My question is: What are the "fundamental operating system entities" and their
attributes that Unix provides that VMS, MVS and Multics do not provide?

								-- Vladimir
------