From: howell@COMMUNITY-CHEST.MITRE.ORG.UUCP
Subject: John Buxton on programming support environments
Date: Fri, 19-Jun-87 01:28:30 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Fri Jun 19 01:28:30 1987

   "Our existing PSEs, of which Unix is a good example, are architecturally
   akin to early Saxon churches which generally speaking consisted of
   four walls, a roof, two windows, and a door, and which were as a
   consequence functionally convenient but still doctrinally correct.
   Ada is indeed an impressive engineering achievement, but its complexity
   and its overlap into programming-in-the-large leads inevitably to our
   early efforts at APSEs resembling building in the baroque style
   without the necessary experience."

   John Buxton, author of Stoneman document, 17 September 1984

   (Ada Letters IV.5-43)

Seems as true today as it did in 84...