From: fischer@hermix.UUCP (Herm Fischer)
Subject: Microsoft OS/2 -- Ideal for Ada
Date: Fri, 12-Jun-87 20:06:44 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Fri Jun 12 20:06:44 1987

Microsoft OS/2 (the replacement for MS-DOS for 286 machines) seems to have
everything which Ada's tasking management needs, and Unix doesn't provide.

Unlike the balky fork concept of UNIX, OS/2 treats parallel executions
within a process as threads, which look at first glance as if they were
designed with Ada rendezvous in mind;  the threads can share the same
local data group, which is the opposite of UNIX fork semantics.

Given the apparent compatibility of Ada with OS/2, I'd like to see a discussion
of compiler vendor plans for supporting OS/2...

(The only published public reference on OS/2 multiprocessing which I have
seen at newstands is in the May 1987 Microsoft Systems Journal, pg 29 ff.)

  Herm Fischer