From: CONTR47@NOSC-TECR.ARPA.UUCP
Subject: S/W Component Engineers (try2)
Date: Sun, 29-Mar-87 14:02:40 EST	[thread overview]
Date: Sun Mar 29 14:02:40 1987

From:	TECR::CONTR47      24-MAR-1987 03:26
To:	PONY%"info-ada@ada20",CONTR47
Subj:	Software Component Engineers

Ed Berard's discourse on reusability has inspired me
to share my thought that there is a need for Software
Component Engineers, a job function analogous to the
time honored profession of Hardware Component Engineer.
   A friend of mine was head of component engineering at
a major computer company. He had about 15 engineers working
for him. One engineer was in charge of crystal
oscillators another in charge of certain types of
integrated circuits.
   I believe that as the software industry grows it will reach
a level where large companies have a software components
engineering group with e.g.: one engineer responsible
for DBMS's another for ARTE's, another for scientific
routines etc.
regards, sam harbaugh