From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
Subject: Re: Aggregate GPRs
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 07:37:19 -0500
Date: 2015-08-31T07:37:19-05:00	[thread overview]

> I see from the documentation[1] that, for projects built through the
> aggregate project, package Builder is ignored

The section you reference does not say this; did you find it elsewhere?

It does say the specific attribute Global_Compilation_Switches is
ignored in standard projects, since it is overridden by the value given
in the aggregate project.

> (even if the aggregate project doesn't have a package Builder?).
>
> I've just found (with GPRBUILD GPL 2015) that the attributes Target and
> Runtime are also ignored!

In GNAT 2015 gnat_ugn.info, Target and Runtime are listed in setcion
5.9.10.1 as Project Level Configuration attributes. So they are not in
package Builder.

Section 5.9.10 says configuration attributes are "usually found only in
configuration project files".

I'm fully aware that the documentation for gprbuild often differs from
what gprbuild actually does, but did you put these attributes in a
config project file in your testing?

> These features seem to me to reduce the usefulness of aggregate projects
> to the point of uselessness. Does anyone have positive experiences with
> them?

I've only used aggregrate projects to specify project_path; I find that
very useful.

--
-- Stephe