* Ada 95 and UML.
@ 2000-01-20  0:00 Skynet News
From: Skynet News @ 2000-01-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Looking for information about how to describe an Ada95 program using UML as
a (delailed) design language.
Before I've used Buhr diagrams, and with them is straight forward to move to
the code because you have icons representing tasks, packages, entry points
to tasks and so on. Now with the UML diagrams: how do I tranlate a class to
Ada 95 structure?

Please HELP!!!!

J. Morcate
jmorcate@computer.org

* Re: Ada 95 and UML.
@ 2000-01-20  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 2000-01-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Skynet News wrote:

> Looking for information about how to describe an Ada95 program using UML as
> a (delailed) design language.
> Before I've used Buhr diagrams, and with them is straight forward to move to
> the code because you have icons representing tasks, packages, entry points
> to tasks and so on. Now with the UML diagrams: how do I tranlate a class to
> Ada 95 structure?

In general, a UML class becomes an Ada type.  If the class will have
subclasses, then the Ada type should be a "tagged" type.  The non-static
methods of the class are the primitive operations of the Ada type.
The static methods are the non-primitive operations declared in the
enclosing package.  If all the methods of the class are static,
then you don't need the "type"; just a package will do.

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)

* Re: Ada 95 and UML.
@ 2000-01-27  0:00 ` Peter Dencker
From: Peter Dencker @ 2000-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You may contact Aonix in your vincinity. They have a tool called StP/UML
which generates Ada 95 code out of your UML class and state transition
diagrams.

Peter Dencker

Skynet News <dpdscell@skypro.be> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
867dh2$ceh$1@news1.skynet.be...
> Looking for information about how to describe an Ada95 program using UML
as
> a (delailed) design language.
> Before I've used Buhr diagrams, and with them is straight forward to move
> the code because you have icons representing tasks, packages, entry points
> to tasks and so on. Now with the UML diagrams: how do I tranlate a class
> Ada 95 structure?
>
> Please HELP!!!!
>
> J. Morcate
> jmorcate@computer.org

* Re: Ada 95 and UML.
@ 2000-01-28  0:00   ` Richard D Riehle
From: Richard D Riehle @ 2000-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <86qig5$5nu$1@newsfeed.esib.net>,
	"Peter Dencker" <dencker@aonix.de> wrote:

>You may contact Aonix in your vincinity. They have a tool called StP/UML
>which generates Ada 95 code out of your UML class and state transition
>diagrams.

Actually, it has been noted several times in this forum that UML does
not map all that well to Ada.  The most glaring difficulty is with
child library units, particularly private child library units. The
other difficulty is the Ada tasking model.

Ada is not unique in this respect.  UML falls short when modeling certain
other languages:  Eiffel and Modula-3 come to mind.  But Ada is probably
the worst match since it departs from the C++ variants so radically.

At the same time, UML contains some rich constructs that Ada fails to
naturally express.  Until Ada achieves a larger following in industry,
there will be little incentive for anyone to develop a modeling notation
that fully expresses the power of Ada.  I think Ed Colbert was pursuing
this but I'm not sure of the status of his effort.

Richard Riehle
richard@adaworks.com