From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: gnat hppa
Date: 2000/01/25
Date: 2000-01-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3885A8A5.556835B8@gmx.de>,
  Stefan Schaeckeler <schaecsn@gmx.de> wrote:
> i have compiled these three versions by myself, too. now i am
running out of

> ideas (i just have one more idea: compiling gnat with other
versions of gcc

> than 2.8.1 ... i am not too optimistic. do the gnat patches
work with newer

> versions of gcc/egcs anyway?)

The current version of GNAT is definitely incompatible with
versions beyond 2.8.1. This is true for two reasons. First,
there are serious bugs that were fixed in 2.8.1 and have
not yet been fixed in GCC 2.95, these particularly include bugs
discovered during the GNAT work. Second, the front/back end
interface changed in GCC 2.95 and it will take some work to
adjust GNAT for these changes.

We are working on making a new version of GNAT that will be
compatible with the new merged GCC technology that contains
all the 2.8.1 fixes, but that work is not yet complete.

As for general problems with HPUX, we have many customers
successfully developing large scale systems using the HPUX
version of GNAT, so most likely you have some kind of
installation problem. Typical explanations for complete
failure to get GNAT running as you describe are

a) incorrect installation
b) using an unsupported OS version or machine version

Carefully read the documentation to make sure you are not in
case b) and then very carefully reinstall from scratch following
every little detail in the installation documentation.

If you are using Ada for a commercial project, you most likely
should contact ACT for assistance.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/