From: tkb@citynet.net (T. Kurt Bond)
Subject: GUI alternatives: FLTK reimplemented in Ada?
Date: 22 Jan 2004 01:04:20 -0500
Date: 2004-01-22T01:04:20-05:00	[thread overview]

Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com> writes:
> My point was that volunteer efforts to build something are by their
> very nature going to be slow to build some relatively large end
> result. If ASCLWG was able to agree on Charles as a starting point,
> great. But to add on to Charles some larger body of capabilities (such
> as building a GUI on top of it) I think that could take *years* unless
> it got out of "All Volunteer" mode somehow.
>
> You can adopt an existing thing like GtkAda or CLAW or JEWL or
> whatever as a starting point too. That has strengths and weaknesses as
> well.

If building something like GtkAda from scratch would be prohibitively
slow, building something with more limited aims might be easier to
accomplish.  For instance, FLTK (see http://www.fltk.org/ for more
information) is a cross platform GUI toolkit (MS Windows, X on Unix,
Mac OS X) written in C++.  It emphasizes being small and efficient but
flexible, and is under 100k lines of code, which includes a GUI User
Interface Designer.  Perhaps starting with the FLTK design and
redesigning and reimplementing it in Ada 95 would be a reasonable
target and a task of manageable size.

--
T. Kurt Bond, tkb@citynet.net