From: "John R. Strohm" <strohm@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: Question: Combination of Access and Constraining
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:55:37 -0600
Date: 2003-02-23T11:55:37-06:00	[thread overview]

It can.

Some years ago, I had occasion to do a pixel blob coloring routine, in C,
that did 8-way connectivity.  The first version used a subroutine.  Runtime
was absolutely unacceptable for the application.  The call/return and
parameter passing time dominated.  The second version used a C macro, and
was fast enough.

I used a macro because I wanted the source code to be HUMAN-READABLE.
Physically inlining the code, without the macro, would have been a lot less
readable.