From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
Subject: Re: basic questions on using GPS
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 04:17:16 -0500
Date: 2015-07-19T04:17:16-05:00	[thread overview]

"Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org> writes:

> I never used GPS (much) before. I do not like project based IDE's
> actually, as they make me feel trapped, but have no choice here.

You can use Emacs.

> I am little confused about something.  normally when not using
> an IDE, and want to test something, by making small program,
> I have a one folder where I keep my Ada test files,
> and then use the editor and make a new foo_nnn.adb and
> then compile it using gnatmake from command line.
>
> Now with GPS, each time I want to try something, I open
> GPS, then have to decide between these choices:
>
> 1. create new project from template
> 2. start with default project in directory ...
> 3. create new project with wizard
> 4. open existing project.

You should select 4, and maintain a trivial .gpr file in your Ada test
folder.

Here is the .gpr I use for this purpose:

project Gnat is
   for Source_Dirs use
     ("..");

   for Object_Dir use "objects";
   for Exec_Dir use ".";

   package Compiler is
      for Default_Switches ("Ada") use
        ("-g", "-gnat12", "-gnatwa");
   end Compiler;

   package Binder is
      for Default_Switches ("Ada") use ("-E");
   end Binder;
end Gnat;

--
-- Stephe