From: jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl (Jerry van Dijk)
Subject: Re: DOS GNAT or Win95/NT GNAT? (Ada 95)
Date: 1997/04/27
Date: 1997-04-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

>What advantages can the Win95/NT version of GNAT offer me compared to
>DOS GNAT?

That of course depends on whether you are running DOS or Win95 :-)
(and which one you know best)

In general, the current situation on publicly released versions:

1. Win95 is at 3.09, while DOS is at 3.07

2. Win95 supports long file names, the DOS version doesn't (yet)

3. The DOS versions underlying gcc port (DJGPP) is very well tested,
   documented and supported. The Win95 version isn't documented in
   practical terms.

4. The DOS version gives you access to the underlying machine, the Win95
   requires a special ($$$) SDK and writing you own bindings.

>In particular, will the Windows version allow me to draw pictures using
>line/circle/box primatives in actual screen-windows with scrollbars and
>menus? If so, how - is it easy?

Yes, if you manage to get the proper Win32 bindings, have an resource
compiler, and don't run into the infamous ld bug, you can use the GDI
from GNAT. Whether or not it is easy depends on your Win95 experience,
this is not Ada related.

>Also, does the DOS version allow multiple tasks?

Yes.

--

-- Jerry van Dijk       | Leiden, Holland
-- Business Consultant  | Team Ada