* Need HELP with algorithms
@ 1997-04-24  0:00 John Doe
From: John Doe @ 1997-04-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

My name is Danny Tran and I am currently looking for algorithms to
search/merge lists. If anyone knows any books or Web sites that have
these information please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Please forward your e-mail to: tran@young.epc.lmms.lmco.com
						   or: danny.tran@lmco.com

Danny Tran

* Re: Need HELP with algorithms
@ 1997-04-24  0:00 ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1997-04-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is a bit old, but well organized:  Software Components with Ada,
Grady Booch, Cummings, 1987, ISBN 0-8053-0610-2.  He gives code.  If you
want algorithms in the abstract, try Sedgewick or Aho or anything in the
same section at Computer Literacy.

* Re: Need HELP with algorithms
@ 1997-04-25  0:00 ` Lawrence Kirby
From: Lawrence Kirby @ 1997-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <335FB73E.8D@aoce.is.lmsc.lockheed.com>
           doe#m#_john@aoce.is.lmsc.lockheed.com "John Doe" writes:

>Hello everyone,
>
>My name is Danny Tran and I am currently looking for algorithms to
>search/merge lists. If anyone knows any books or Web sites that have
>these information please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Any good book on algorithms should cover the list merge sort. For C code
the FAQ mentions the Snippets collection which contains list merging
examples. If I can just borrow Bob Stout's sig:

>>Internet rbs@snippets.org
>>Home of SNIPPETS - Current release:
>>      ftp://snippets.org/pub/snippets/snip9611.zip & snip9611.taz (.tar.Z)
>>      http://www.snippets.org/
>>      juge.com:/c/snip9611.lzh
>>      PDN nodes (SNIP9611.RAR) and SimTel mirror sites

Lawrence Kirby | fred@genesis.demon.co.uk
Wilts, England | 70734.126@compuserve.com

* Re: Need HELP with algorithms
@ 1997-04-25  0:00 ` James Youngman
From: James Youngman @ 1997-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <335FB73E.8D@aoce.is.lmsc.lockheed.com>,
doe#m#_john@aoce.is.lmsc.lockheed.com says...

>Hello everyone,
>
>My name is Danny Tran and I am currently looking for algorithms to
>search/merge lists. If anyone knows any books or Web sites that have
>these information please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Donald E. Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming", Volume 2.   You may need
to read Volume 1 in order to understand partsof Volume 2 though.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're

* Re: Need HELP with algorithms
@ 1997-04-26  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-04-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Youngman said

<<>My name is Danny Tran and I am currently looking for algorithms to
>search/merge lists. If anyone knows any books or Web sites that have
>these information please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Donald E. Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming", Volume 2.   You may need
to read Volume 1 in order to understand partsof Volume 2 though.>>

YOu mean volume 3, volume 2 is the semi-numerical stuff, vol 3 is
searching and sorting (unless I am completely losing my memory :-)

However, these are definitely NOT easy reading, and typical texts for
undergraduate algorithms classes may be more accessible ..