From: LINNIG@ti-eg.CSNET.UUCP
Subject: RE: Government Control of Ada
Date: Tue, 15-Jul-86 20:56:25 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Tue Jul 15 20:56:25 1986

Forwarded by request of the author:

From:	Mats_Ohlin_FOA2%qzcom.mailnet%MIT-MULTICS.ARPA   15-JUL-1986 00:36
To:	"Mike Linnig" <LINNIG@TI-EG.CSNET>
Subj:	RE: Government Control of Ada

Yes, I agree. I am working for the Swedish Defence, we are encountering
these kind of problems more and more now. I could sympatize with
the general concern in USDoD to control the transfer of sensitive
information out of the US. However, when it concerns general
things (general software, but also hardware /TEMPEST/) it
gives us some problems. Naturally, we want to make the Swedish
Defence as effective as possible, with each Swedish crown invested
in the best possible way. US export regulations actually makes
it less effective also for neutral countries like Switzerland
and Sweden. Even if it often is possible to get export permission
it requires a lot of paper work and takes a lot of time.
It concerns also workstations containing 68020... and even the
crypt program in UNIX (which, in the latter case, may be a good
thing... but not as DoC thinks). It concerns our possibilities
to buy TEMPEST approved equipment when we want to create
secure systems; giving us higher cost (and great motivation
to arrange national development and production, which in the
long run may be fruitful for us though).

(Standard disclaimer: opinions are my own, not necessarily
different from my employer /Sw Nat'l Def Research Inst/).

-- Mats Ohlin

(Please forward this to the Ada Mailing List, my system seems
to have lost the proper net address.)