From: drm1@vrdxhq.UUCP (Donn Milton)
Subject: Re:  misleading article on type checking procedure parameters
Date: Mon, 9-Jun-86 20:04:48 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Mon Jun  9 20:04:48 1986

The key point is that parameters need to be fully specified, to
to an arbitrary (and not necessarily finite) degree of nesting, in
order to permit full type-checking.  This requires some sort of
recursive type definition for procedures.

Sherman claims that he has written a compiler that performs full type-checking,
presumably in the absence of fully specified procedure parameters.
I would be very interested in hearing more about such a compiler,
since so far Langmaack has convinced me it is impossible.

I do not have the reference to Clarke's result, but from the description
it is does not conflict with Langmaack, as long as
Clarke was referring to "fully-specified procedure parameters."

I also do not understand the point of the program that Sherman
presented, for which he states "you give a compiler that can tell
me if this program generates a runtime (type check) error, and I'll solve the
halting problem."  The crux of strong type-checking is that it
is done at compile-time and not at run-time.  The program should generate
a compile-time error -- it is irrelevant whether the particular portion
of the program that contains the error would be executed at run-time.

Donn Milton