From: Bryan@SU-SIERRA.ARPA (Doug Bryan)
Subject: anonymous array types and record components
Date: Tue, 11-Feb-86 20:54:27 EST	[thread overview]
Date: Tue Feb 11 20:54:27 1986

Hi all...

One of my students asked me a question the other day that I could not
answer.  Since this does not happen too often, I got out a few reference
books and started digging.  I still don't have a good answer!  Here is
the question...

	X : array (1 .. 10) of Integer;

Using an anonymous array type for an object declaration is valid.

	type R is record
	    X : array (1 .. 10) of Integer;
	  end record;

Using an anonymous array type for the component of a record is invalid.
Why?  What is the rational for disallowing anonymous array types
for record components?

Any hints would be appreciated.

doug bryan
-------