* ee9, the GNU Ada KDF9 emulator, now on Raspberry Pi
@ 2012-10-03  6:26 Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2012-10-03  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

ee9, my GNU Ada emulator of the English Electric KDF9, has been available
for some time: for the x86_64 and PowerPC G5 architectures under Mac OS X;
for the x86_32 and x86_64 architectures under Linux/FreeBSD; and for the
x86_32 architecture under Microsoft Windows (XP/SP3 or newer).

It has now also been implemented for the ARM architecture, in the form of
the Raspberry Pi educational microcomputer running under under Raspbian
Linux (i.e. Debian Wheezy for ARM11).

Download packages for all of these hosts, including executable binaries and
complete sources, can be found at:

   <http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/#Emulator>

ee9 is distributed as free sofware under the terms of GNU General Public
License.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: ee9, the GNU Ada KDF9 emulator, now on Raspberry Pi
@ 2012-10-04 18:55 ` Fritz Wuehler
From: Fritz Wuehler @ 2012-10-04 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> ee9, my GNU Ada emulator of the English Electric KDF9, has been available
> for some time: for the x86_64 and PowerPC G5 architectures under Mac OS X;
> for the x86_32 and x86_64 architectures under Linux/FreeBSD; and for the
> x86_32 architecture under Microsoft Windows (XP/SP3 or newer).

Sounds great!

> ee9 is distributed as free sofware under the terms of GNU General Public
> License.

Problem..you can't have both. Either it's "free software" or it's GPL.

Pick one! ;-)

* Re: ee9, the GNU Ada KDF9 emulator, now on Raspberry Pi
@ 2012-10-04 19:24   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2012-10-04 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/10/2012 19:55, in article
6da0cd81c46abadd949629f60f7e4d2d@msgid.frell.theremailer.net, "Fritz
Wuehler" <fritz@spamexpire-201210.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:

> Bill Findlay <yaldnif.w@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> ee9, my GNU Ada emulator of the English Electric KDF9, has been available
>> for some time: for the x86_64 and PowerPC G5 architectures under Mac OS X;
>> for the x86_32 and x86_64 architectures under Linux/FreeBSD; and for the
>> x86_32 architecture under Microsoft Windows (XP/SP3 or newer).
>
> Sounds great!
>
>> ee9 is distributed as free sofware under the terms of GNU General Public
>> License.
>
> Problem..you can't have both. Either it's "free software" or it's GPL.
>
> Pick one! ;-)

I'm not religious about these things. (Or anything, really 8-)

--

@ 2012-10-04 20:13   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2012-10-04 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fritz Wuehler wrote on comp.lang.ada
> you can't have both. Either it's "free software" or it's GPL.

GPL software is not free to become non-free :)

Rather: you are not free to make GPL software proprietary.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: "free software" vs GPL
@ 2012-10-06  4:39   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2012-10-06  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

writes:

> Problem..you can't have both. Either it's "free software" or it's GPL.
>
> Pick one! ;-)

I realize this is a troll, but I'll bite.

What definition of the phrase "free software" are you using here?

GPL meets the definition of "free software" given at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software

The phrase "free software" was coined in 1983 by Richard Stallman for
GPL (see the wikipedia page above), so it's just silly to say that
phrase actually means something else.

That's why the phrase "open source" was coined.

If you are going to use phrases to mean something that is different from
the commonly accepted meaning, you have to give the definition, or no
one will understand your point (I certainly don't understand your
point, except as a troll).

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ee9, the GNU Ada KDF9 emulator, now on Raspberry Pi
@ 2012-10-06  9:34     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2012-10-06  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> Fritz Wuehler wrote on comp.lang.ada
>> you can't have both. Either it's "free software" or it's GPL.
>
> GPL software is not free to become non-free :)
>
> Rather: you are not free to make GPL software proprietary.

In a nutshell: your freedom (to examine, copy, modify and distribute
software) stops where the freedom of the next person (to also examine,
copy, modify and distribute the same software) starts.  Therefore you do
not have the freedom to restrict other people's freedom.

--
Ludovic Brenta.