From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
Subject: Re: "free software" vs GPL
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 00:39:30 -0400
Date: 2012-10-06T00:39:30-04:00	[thread overview]

Fritz Wuehler <fritz@spamexpire-201210.rodent.frell.theremailer.net>
writes:

> Problem..you can't have both. Either it's "free software" or it's GPL.
>
> Pick one! ;-)

I realize this is a troll, but I'll bite.

What definition of the phrase "free software" are you using here?

GPL meets the definition of "free software" given at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software

The phrase "free software" was coined in 1983 by Richard Stallman for
GPL (see the wikipedia page above), so it's just silly to say that
phrase actually means something else.

That's why the phrase "open source" was coined.

If you are going to use phrases to mean something that is different from
the commonly accepted meaning, you have to give the definition, or no
one will understand your point (I certainly don't understand your
point, except as a troll).

--
-- Stephe