From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
Subject: snag in building Ada mode Emacs module on Linux
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 08:23:16 -0500
Date: 2015-05-21T08:23:16-05:00	[thread overview]

I've got an Emacs module (which is a dynamic library with a defined
interface) that implements an OpenToken parser for Ada mode.

It works on Windows, where it is marginally faster than the elisp
parser. I have already identified some significant speedups to implement
in the parser; that will break compatibility with OpenToken, so I'll be
renaming it FastToken :).

But the point of this post is to ask for help/advice for Linux (and
possibly Mac).

The module doesn't compile on Linux, because GNAT GPL 2014 doesn't
provide a (static or dynamic) libgnat for the sjlj runtime that is
compiled with -fPIC. I need -fPIC on all code in order to include it in
the dynamic library that is the Emacs module. I need the sjlj runtime to
support raising exceptions in the module; since Emacs is not an Ada
main, it uses the sjlj exception method.

I haven't tested yet, but I'm assuming Debian Ada doesn't provide -fPIC
with sjlj either.

So it looks like I have to compile the GNAT runtime on Linux (Debian in
particular, for my test machine).

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Is there a similar problem on the Mac?

--