From: merlin@annwfn.com (Fred McCall)
Subject: Re: Paige's How To Get An Automatic Ada Waiver memo
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 1994 06:55:43 -0600
Date: 1994-11-07T06:55:43-06:00	[thread overview]

In <CyDzx2.Iqv@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com Gregory Aharonian writes:

>     Sometime ago DoD Secretary Perry issued a policy memo encouraging the
>use of COTS products in defense systems (as opposed to MIL-SPEC equipment).
>As Ada is a MIL-SPEC, the few in the DoD who actually pay attention to the
>Ada Mandate questioned whether Perry's memo would undermine the Ada Mandate.

[Interesting fantasy (yes, fantasy) of how to do DoD work in something
other than Ada elided.]

Let me just say, Greg, that it simply doesn't work that way.  EVEN WHEN
IT REALLY DOES MAKE SENSE TO USE SOMETHING ELSE it doesn't work that
way.

We're stuck with the Mandate until Congress can be convinced to repeal
it (and I wouldn't hold my breath, considering how many *other* bad laws
there are on the books that they don't repeal).

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live
 in the real world."   -- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden