From: hilfingr@UCBRENOIR (Paul Hilfinger)
Subject: Re: text_io considered error prone?
Date: Thu, 12-Sep-85 02:10:47 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Thu Sep 12 02:10:47 1985

>    I think that what [14.3(7)] means is that the effect on the output
>    device is not defined. For instance some control character may
>    make the output device go into graphics mode, and that would not
>    be a violation of the Ada specs.... It does NOT follow from that
>    that Ada is unable to copy a file containing such characters.

I'm afraid not.  The powers that be interpret the final sentence of 14.3(7),

   "The effect of input or output of control characters (other
    than horizontal tabulation) is not defined by the language."

to mean that, for example, outputing ASCII.NUL via TEXT_IO can result in a
file that ends at the NUL, or can output an 'A' instead, or....

Paul Hilfinger