From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Representation clauses and streams
Date: 2000/01/04
Date: 2000-01-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <87k8lq2t4z.fsf@deneb.cygnus.argh.org>,
  Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.cygnus.argh.org> wrote:
> Since everybody seems to have strong feelings about this
issue, I'm
> going to ask only one question:  Why is IA 13.13.2(17)
considered
> so important?  Even if compilers converge on this specific
issue, this
> won't give us portable data streams.  It might make the stream
layout of
> similar targets (that is, architecture and compiler
combinations) a bit
> more similar, but then it doesn't cover the little/big endian
problem.
> And it doesn't seem to be very helpful when you have to match
a given
> data format.

Your barking up the wrong tree here. This IA is not at all
intended to deal with these issues, and indeed it is a good
idea if compilers DO address these issues, and they are
free to (e.g. the XDR implementation in GNAT).

The point is to get reasonably expected behavior for simple
binary I/O on a single target (e.g. I stream out a char, I
want 8 bits, I stream out an int, I want 32 bits).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.