* gui tools
@ 1999-12-24  0:00 Greg Keene
From: Greg Keene @ 1999-12-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Looking for information on a good GUI development tool.

Any suggestions?

* Re: gui tools
@ 1999-12-28  0:00 ` Marin D. Condic
From: Marin D. Condic @ 1999-12-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Keene wrote:

> Looking for information on a good GUI development tool.
>
> Any suggestions?

Depends on the platform. For Windows/PC, I've been playing with the demo
CLAW GUI builder and been very impressed. See:
http://www.rrsoftware.com/ I expect I'll be buying the environment for
further evaluation as soon as I can get the time to look into it a
little more thoroughly.

MDC
Marin David Condic   - Quadrus Corporation -   1.800.555.3393
1015-116 Atlantic Boulevard, Atlantic Beach, FL 32233
http://www.quadruscorp.com/
m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m

Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin."
        --  Allan Meltzer, Economist

* Re: gui tools
@ 1999-12-29  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-12-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keene wrote:

> Sorry, I guess I did leave out that little piece of information.  The O/S will
> be unix, but the development platform and the target will be different.  The
> development platform will be Solaris 7 and the target will be HPUX.
>
> > From: Greg Keene
> > Looking for information on a good GUI development tool.

Both those platforms support Motif. If the Motif widget set will fill your needs
(basic GUI stuff, nothing sexy like photo-realisct switches and rotating needle
dials),  then there are loads of good commercial Motif GUI builders out there.
Pick one that can output its full functionality in UIL, use the Motif UIL compiler
to make UID files. Then just make the 2 or 3 mwm calls it takes to import and map
the whole shebang. The only other GUI code you'll need in your application are the
calls to modify output widgets.

I used that approach on a couple of projects. Its portable across nearly all
Unixes, allows your GUI designers to work nearly indepently from your application
developers, and leaves very little ugly GUI code cluttering up your Ada source.
Plus, if someone decides a window needs to be mauve, or moved 3 pixels to the
right, your application code doesn't even have to be recompiled.

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com
WWW  - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html

* RE: gui tools
@ 1999-12-29  0:00 Keene
From: Keene @ 1999-12-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Sorry, I guess I did leave out that little piece of information.  The O/S will
be unix, but the development platform and the target will be different.  The
development platform will be Solaris 7 and the target will be HPUX.

> From comp.lang.ada-admin@ada.eu.org Sun Dec 26 16:20:41 1999
> From: "Carlisle, Martin" <Martin.Carlisle@usafa.af.mil>
> To: "'Greg Keene '" <gkeene@kgo.csc.com>,
>         "'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org '"
> 	 <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
> Subject: RE: gui tools
> Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 14:24:19 -0700
>
> Well, you probably should mention what platform you are interested in.
>
> For Windows, there is CLAW (http://www.rrsoftware.com), the Aonix GUI
> Builder (http://www.aonix.com).
>
> For Linux, there is GLADE (http://www.gtk.org, http://www.gtkada.org)  Gtk
> runs on Windows too, but in my opinion not very well.
>
> For both, I have developed RAPID
> (http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/usafa/rapid/index.html)  It has
> support for Tcl/Tk (via TASH), JVM (via the to be release JGNAT), and an
> almost complete Gtk port.
>
> My apologies to those I have forgotten and if I messed up any URLs.
>
> --Martin
>
> (Dr. Martin Carlisle, Asst Prof of Computer Science
>  US Air Force Academy
>  NOTE:  This does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the
>  US Air Force Academy or the US Government).

* Re: gui tools
@ 1999-12-31  0:00   ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 1999-12-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Greg Keene wrote:
> >
> > Looking for information on a good GUI development tool.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Since you mentioned (in another post) you are currently
staying Unix based then the GtkAda
(ada.eu.org/gtkada) with the Glade GUI builder might be a good choice. It is
pretty
robust under Unix. The Win32 port is coming along but not yet production
quality.

Jeff