* Re: Ada books
@ 1993-09-17  9:50 cis.ohio-state.edu!pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!magnus.
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!magnus. @ 1993-09-17  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I need to find an Ada book that contains the basics without spending to much
>time on them.  I also need the book to focus on the more advanced topics in
>Ada especially generics and tasking.  I have one book on Ada already put
>it did not provide the detailed information on advanced features that I had
>hoped it would.  The book I have is titled "The Art and Science of Programming
>in Ada".

I can recommend John Barnes' "Programming in Ada (3rd Edition)", published
by Addison Wesley. The book assumes some programming experience, and doesn't
treat you like an fool. It comprehensively and clearly covers generics and
tasking.

I used it to learn Ada, though I must confess that John's office was about
20 feet away during that time...

Mat
(ex Alsys student)

---
| Mathew Lodge               | "There's nothing intellectual about wandering |
| lodge@ferndown.ate.slb.com |  around Italy in a big shirt trying to get    |
| Schlumberger Technologies, |  laid" -- Blackadder on the romantic poets    |
| ATE division, Ferndown, UK | I speak for me, not Schlumberger Technologies |

* Re: Ada books
@ 1993-09-17 15:04 David Tannen
From: David Tannen @ 1993-09-17 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article 27100@relay.nswc.navy.mil, jmoore@nswc.navy.mil (James Moore) writes
:
> I need to find an Ada book that contains the basics without spending to much
> time on them.  I also need the book to focus on the more advanced topics in
> Ada especially generics and tasking.  I have one book on Ada already put
> it did not provide the detailed information on advanced features that I had
> hoped it would.  The book I have is titled "The Art and Science of Programmin
> in Ada".
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Jay Moore

I have the following two Ada books @ my desk:
	*Software Engineering with Ada*, Grady Booch
	This is a great book (IMO) for learning the "Ada way" of doing things.
	It is a ok reference book.  He does show how to use generics and taskin
g.

	*Programming in Ada plus LRM*, JGP Barnes
	This is a great reference book (IMO).  Generics and tasks are very
	well covered in this book.

Between those two books I rarely can not find the technical Ada answer I need.
---
David Tannen
tannend@source.asset.com
tannen@tigger.geg.mot.com
-- "Dependance on wizardry to mitigate the fundamental limitations
--  of software is called 'hacking'."  Grady Booch.
--
-- Developing MS-Windows applications often requires 'wizardry'.

* Re: Ada books
@ 1993-09-21 13:51 rochester!news.crd.ge.com!sunblossom!knight.vf.ge.com!news.ge.com!romulus
From: rochester!news.crd.ge.com!sunblossom!knight.vf.ge.com!news.ge.com!romulus @ 1993-09-21 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

When G.E. was training its software people for STGT (roughly
50-100 developers), they gave us all 2 books; Software
Engineering with Ada, by Grady Booch, and An Introduction to
Ada, by S.J. Young.  The general consensus (which I
completely agree with) ended up being that the Young book is
quite good, while the Booch book is suitable for wrapping
fish and lining bird cages. (Please don't flame me; this is
a quote.) People I have met from other projects who had
contact with the Booch book had pretty much the same
opinion.

However, as far as tasks and generics go, there really is
no substitue for experience. Get out a decent reference,
sit down with your compiler, and start playing...

T.E.D.

...furthermore, it is my opinion that Barney must be destroyed.

* Ada Books
@ 1994-11-15 18:07 Cheryl Cesario
From: Cheryl Cesario @ 1994-11-15 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm interested in learning Ada.  Can some one recommend any book(s) available
that will help me learn Ada from the ground up?

Thanks in Advance.

* Re: Ada books
@ 1998-11-06  0:00 ` F. Britt Snodgrass
From: F. Britt Snodgrass @ 1998-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recommend the following Ada 95 book because it is clearly written and easy
to read.  It is available from amazon.com for $54.99.

    Rendezvous with Ada 95
    David J. Naiditch
    John Wiley and Sons, 1995 (ISBN 0-471-01276-9)

Britt Snodgrass (britt@acm.org)

----
Robert Graham wrote:

> I'm just starting out with Ada.  Are there any good beginner's programming
> books?  Does one stand out as the "Ada bible"?
>
> (Long live FORTRAN, the Grand Master of all languages!)

* Ada books
@ 1998-11-06  0:00 Robert Graham
From: Robert Graham @ 1998-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-11-15  0:00 ` telia
From: telia @ 1998-11-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Concurrency in Ada Second Edition (ADA95), Alan Burns and Andy Wellings.
Cambridge University Press ISBN 0-512-62911-X
/pergu@acm.org

@ 1998-11-15  0:00   ` Chia-Lin Wang
From: Chia-Lin Wang @ 1998-11-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Robert Graham skrev i meddelandet <71uu2i$s8a$1@ash.ridgecrest.ca.us>...
> >I'm just starting out with Ada.  Are there any good beginner's programming
> >books?  Does one stand out as the "Ada bible"?
> >
> >(Long live FORTRAN, the Grand Master of all languages!)

Try this one:

 "Ada95 Problem Solving and Program Design"
 --by Feldman.Koffman

 This book is designed for Ada beginner.

* Re: Ada books
@ 1998-11-16  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1998-11-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert Graham" <r_graham@ridgenet.net> writes:

> I'm just starting out with Ada.  Are there any good beginner's programming
> books?  Does one stand out as the "Ada bible"?

For beginners, there is Rendevous With Ada95, by David Naiditch.

After Naiditch, try reading Programming in Ada95, by John Barnes.

After Barnes, try reading Ada As A Second Language, by Norm Cohen.

There are also free tutorials available on the web.  Go to the Home of
the Brave Ada Programmers.

<http://www.adahome.com/>

> (Long live FORTRAN, the Grand Master of all languages!)

You'll be happy to know you can keep all you existing Fortran code, and
call it from Ada95.  Ada95 has built-in facilities for interfacing to
other languages, including C, Fortran, and Cobol.

Note: the all-caps spelling of Fortran has been deprecated.

* Ada Books
@ 1999-12-30  0:00 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-12-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Ada book page on AdaPower has now been updated. You can use it to
see current Ada books on the market and get comparative prices, both
New and Used!

http://www.adapower.com/books

Thanks to Michael Feldman there is also a link to reviews of Ada 95
books.

--
David Botton
www.AdaPower.com