  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
           [not found] ` <4rs76l$aqd@ccshst05.uoguelph.ca>
    @ 1996-07-16  0:00 ` Darin Johnson
                       ` (18 subsequent siblings)
    From: Darin Johnson @ 1996-07-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Also keep in mind that this rather lengthy diatribe was comparing c with the
    > 'standard' pascal, not what it has become.  Today's pascal is as
    > different from what was being discussed as today's c++ is from the old c.

    True, Pascal has been mostly subsumed by Modula II and III.  These are
    nice languages, and you can do real-world and systems programming in
    them.  They're not as popular (you probably have to go commercial to
    get a compiler).
    --
    Darin Johnson
    djohnson@ucsd.edu	O-

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
           [not found] ` <4rs76l$aqd@ccshst05.uoguelph.ca>
    @ 1996-07-17  0:00 ` Aron Felix Gurski
                       ` (17 subsequent siblings)
    From: Aron Felix Gurski @ 1996-07-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Darin Johnson wrote:

    > > Also keep in mind that this rather lengthy diatribe was comparing c with the
    > > 'standard' pascal, not what it has become.  Today's pascal is as
    > > different from what was being discussed as today's c++ is from the old c.
    >
    > True, Pascal has been mostly subsumed by Modula II and III.  These are
    > nice languages, and you can do real-world and systems programming in
    > them.  They're not as popular (you probably have to go commercial to
    > get a compiler).
    > --
    > Darin Johnson
    > djohnson@ucsd.edu       O-
    >        Support your right to own gnus.

    The language names are Modula-2 and Modula-3. There is a shareware Modula-2
    compiler available for the DOS platform. Check the FAQ in comp.lang.modula2
    for information about this and other compilers. Modula-3 compilers are
    available by ftp; check the faq in comp.lang.modula3.

    		-- Aron

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-19  0:00 ` Andrew Gierth
                       ` (16 subsequent siblings)
    From: Andrew Gierth @ 1996-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    [This thread should never have been injected into comp.unix.programmer.
    Would respondents *please* take that into account. Followups set.]

    Craig Franck <clfranck@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >Just an observation about people you argue (excuse me discuss)
    >programing languages. The people who know and use several languages
    >seem much less inclined to declare any one the best, while those who
    >know or use only one language seem to think its always the best.
    >My answer to the question would be with another question :
    >Why not learn both?

    >Since pascal is like so many other languages its good to in case
    >you ever need to learn something like ada or join a team who is
    >going to use Borland's Delphi to develope database applications.

    >Also since c is so unlike so many other langauages ie. its terse
    >syntax and heavy use of operators as oposed to keywords, that its
    >possible after years of heavy use to become "syntacticly crippled".
    >I know some excellent, highly intelligent programmers who can not
    >look at a COBOL listing with out having to sit down and stare out
    >the window just to get reorientated to reality...

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-19  0:00 ` Andrew Gierth
                       ` (15 subsequent siblings)
    From: Andrew Gierth @ 1996-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    brashear@ns1.sw-eng.falls-church.va.us wrote:
    >In article <4sjmtk$e95@herald.concentric.net>,
    >Mark  McKinney  <mckmark@mail.concentric.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>This raises a big concern I have always had about how programming is taugh
    >>in general. Problem solving techniques, style, methodologies etc. should
    >>be taught or learned prior to a programming language. The "this is how you
    >>do it and then this is how yu do it well" approach seems highly
    >>ineffective.
    >>-Mark
    >>

    >This reminds me of the high school English teacher who said "Teach them
    >grammar in elementary school, and I'll teach them how to write (compose)."
    >
    >How do you learn grammar without writing (composing)?  How do you learn
    >problem solving techniques, style, methodologies, etc. without actually
    >solving problems, creating programs according to certain styles, using
    >a programming language to apply a methodology?  Might as well try to teach
    >a child the mathematical discipline of knot theory before teaching her how
    >to tie her shoes!
    >
    >Phil B

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-19  0:00 ` Andrew Gierth
                       ` (14 subsequent siblings)
    From: Andrew Gierth @ 1996-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    [This thread should never have been injected into comp.unix.programmer.
    Would all respondents *please* take that into account. Followups set.]

    jtbell@presby.edu wrote:
    > Robert Dewar <dewar@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
    >>First, the business world uses many languages -- even today far more programs
    >>are written in COBOL than in C and C++ combined by a very large margin.
    >
    >Just out of curiosity, how much *new* development takes place in COBOL,
    >as opposed to maintainance and extension of existing systems?   This does
    >not imply that I'm downgrading maintainance, by the way.  I've done some
    >of it (although not in COBOL), and I know that it can be a real challenge.

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-21  0:00 ` Laurent Guerby
                       ` (13 subsequent siblings)
    From: Laurent Guerby @ 1996-07-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Robert> Well of course, Andy may be a brilliant exception, but most
    Robert> people who learn "Ada in a couple of weeks" on their own with
    Robert> a background like his tend to write just terrible Ada, having
    Robert> completely misunderstood the critical use of abstraction, the
    Robert> right way to use exceptions, the right way to use generics,

       I would say it depends of what what they were looking for in
    learning Ada. If one (C/Fortran/Basic) programmer feels that his
    language is not enough to build in a satisfactory way good code and is
    looking for new SE principle in learning Ada, then there's a chance
    that the misunderstanding won't be that sytematic. And remember that the
    very good and *free* Ada material is available all over the
    net. Example: the Ada Quality & Style is full of very interesting
    discussions (pros & cons, more interesting than guidelines most of the
    time) on good use of Ada features. (Aren't you a reviewer of this
    document? ;-). URL:

       http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/standards/Welcome.html
       (or something near this URL)

    Robert> and probably I would guess that they only know a small subset
    Robert> of the language (typically not including the annexes for
    Robert> example).

       The advantage of the annexes in Ada 95 is that you don't have to
    learn them if you don't use them, that's not "subsetting". I guess the
    right example and common case is learning Ada without tasking.

       (Knowing all Ada 95 annexes means that you know:
    Annex A: all the core standard libraries (IO, Strings, ...)
    Annex B: all of C, Fortran, COBOL languages
    Annex C: all of your machine  (interruptions, assembly)
    Annex D: all of priority scheduling (RMS, Ceiling, ...)
    Annex E: all of distributed systems programming
    Annex F: all of COBOL pictures strings editing and decimal arithmetic
    Annex G: all of numerics (accuracy, complex arithmetic)
    Annex H: all of safety critical system concerns (implementation choices)
    Annex J: all of Ada 83 obsolescent features
    ... definitly a large amount of knowledge and experience!)

    Robert> Learning a language is more than learning where the semicolons
    Robert> go!

       Right (since most languages come with a philosophy of programming,
    especially Ada in the realm of SE).

    --
    Laurent Guerby <guerby@gnat.com>, Team Ada.
       "Use the Source, Luke. The Source will be with you, always (GPL)."

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-21  0:00 ` Wayne
                       ` (12 subsequent siblings)
    From: Wayne @ 1996-07-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Darin Johnson wrote:

    > > Also keep in mind that this rather lengthy diatribe was comparing c with the
    > > 'standard' pascal, not what it has become.  Today's pascal is as
    > > different from what was being discussed as today's c++ is from the old c.
    >
    > True, Pascal has been mostly subsumed by Modula II and III.  These are
    > nice languages, and you can do real-world and systems programming in
    > them.  They're not as popular (you probably have to go commercial to
    > get a compiler).
    > --
    > Darin Johnson
    > djohnson@ucsd.edu       O-
    >        Support your right to own gnus.

    Isn't there an GNU Pascal compiler?  I think it also supports some Borland changes
    to the ISO standard as well.

    Wayne
    --
    Hit any user to continue.

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-22  0:00 ` Darin Johnson
                       ` (11 subsequent siblings)
    From: Darin Johnson @ 1996-07-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Robert> Well of course, Andy may be a brilliant exception, but most
    > Robert> people who learn "Ada in a couple of weeks" on their own with
    > Robert> a background like his tend to write just terrible Ada, having
    > Robert> completely misunderstood the critical use of abstraction, the
    > Robert> right way to use exceptions, the right way to use generics,

    This makes the assumption that the learner has never seen abstraction,
    exceptions or generics before coming to Ada.  If the learner has seen
    these before then Ada is just a matter of learning the syntax,
    semantics and standard packages.  And even if not all of these have
    been seen, having a decent brain gets over those hurdles (ie, a brain
    that says "I don't understand generics fully, so I won't use them just
    yet").
    --
    Darin Johnson
    djohnson@ucsd.edu	O-

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-22  0:00 ` Darin Johnson
                       ` (10 subsequent siblings)
    From: Darin Johnson @ 1996-07-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Add an extra minute or 2 for unexpected problems. :-) Besides, I never
    > claimed that you will become an expert in the language.  I said "a
    > working knowledge".

    I learned C during a lecture.  The prof let us do programs in either
    Pascal or C, so during the lecture I would occasionally ask my friend
    for the equivalents of certain constructs.  Then after class I sat
    down and wrote my assignment in C, then alternated each assignment
    between C and Pascal after that.  The knowledge I was lacking was in
    the details, stuff like printf specifications.  Certainly no abstract
    programming details were missing (like what's a pointer, and how to do
    recursion, etc, although it was odd losing out on the modularization I
    was used to).

    Ok, it wasn't 6 minutes, but I didn't have a book or summary sheet to
    go on, only whispers.  When I actually got around to reading K&R, much
    of it was old hat.
    --
    Darin Johnson
    djohnson@ucsd.edu	O-

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-23  0:00 ` Darin Johnson
                       ` (9 subsequent siblings)
    From: Darin Johnson @ 1996-07-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > A sizeable portion of the class,
    > however, whined because they talked to "big, smart people in the real
    > world" who told them they were wasting their time, no one uses Scheme,
    > it's a stupid language, you can't do XYZ like you can in C or
    > whatever, man, universities are stupid, this country is fucked up
    > blablabla.

    Unfortunately, this group exists regardless of what you teach or how.
    I've TA'd and proctored a variety of classes (programming and
    architecture), and you don't get away from them.  And it's not just
    that they want the university to be a trade school either, I had
    people in '81 (back when you had to know a variety of things and be
    able to adapt in order to program) and they were complaining about why
    they should learn Pascal since they already knew BASIC and didn't need
    this intro to programming class.  They didn't do that well in the
    class however.  Had a student complain about why he should learn how
    compiler work since we already have a good C compiler.  And of course,
    plenty were upset that they had to learn about the eniac or
    computability or PDA's or what-not.

    Of course, IMHO, I think the solution would be to take the military
    route.  Don't reason with the students, make them do laps or pushups
    instead.  Call them names and insult their mothers when they claim to
    be smarter than you.  Get rid of all their preconceived notions in
    boot camp so they can actually learn something later on.  (what, do
    students actually say "only wussies use Pascal in the real world" at
    West Point?).

    The old saying goes, "he can write Fortran in any language".  Which is
    just a way of saying that you can present a programmer with any
    language you want, but if they can't program well you won't get a good
    program at the end.
    --
    Darin Johnson
    djohnson@ucsd.edu	O-

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-24  0:00 ` Darin Johnson
                       ` (8 subsequent siblings)
    From: Darin Johnson @ 1996-07-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    gwinn@res.ray.com (Joe Gwinn) writes:
    > Shouldn't we answer the man's question, without drifting into theological
    > discussions about the relative merits of various languages?  He wants to
    > find a better job, not find religion, or become a better person.  So,
    > where are the jobs?

    And speaking of theology - give a man a fish and you feed him for a
    day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.

    That's why the thread has drifted.  The original poster wanted to know
    where to get a fish.  If he learns the language that gets him a job
    now, what happens next year?  The language will change - and more
    often the way the language is used will change.  When you know how to
    program, the choice of language is just a matter of syntax and
    idiosyncracies.  If all you know is one language/methodology, then
    everything else is viewed as "a silly way of doing things".  If you
    learn abstraction, you can use it in any language.  If you learn C and
    have never seen abstraction, you're not going to use abstraction until
    years of experience cause you to use it.  These aren't things you
    learn on the job unless you work with people that also know these
    things and they make an effort to teach you (and this is becoming less
    and less likely).

    I have to maintain code written by someone who just learned C after
    decades of assembler.  He thinks it's the greatest language in the
    world, and is always wondering why I am spending the time improving
    code (because it saves me time in the long run).  There's absolutely
    no sense of abstraction in the code, no comments (except to tell the
    name of the file), little portability (he thinks separate source trees
    are fine), and whatever gets the job done is what gets done.  That's
    what happens when you just learn the language but not the programming.

    Same thing everywhere.  They teach English to English speakers in
    school.  They teach music theory to people who can already play.
    Are computers supposed to be the exception?
    --
    Darin Johnson
    djohnson@ucsd.edu	O-

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-24  0:00 ` Jon S Anthony
                       ` (7 subsequent siblings)
    From: Jon S Anthony @ 1996-07-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <gwinn-2307961502440001@smc19.ed.ray.com> gwinn@res.ray.com (Joe Gwinn) writes:

    > He wants to find a better job, not find religion, or become a better
                         ^^^^^^
    > person.  So, where are the jobs?
                             ^^^
    I don't think there's much correlation between these, but if the latter
    is what's desired, then clearly the answer is:

    Visual Basic...

    /Jon
    --
    Jon Anthony
    Organon Motives, Inc.

    617.484.3383
    jsa@organon.com

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (12 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-25  0:00 ` ++           robin
                       ` (6 subsequent siblings)
    From: ++           robin @ 1996-07-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    	dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

    	>"An algorithm is just a set of instructions on how to accomplish a task. An
    	>algorithm does not depend at all on any sort of programming "language". In
    	>fact, I was taught that you should write out your "game plan" and psuedo
    	>code before you even touch any sort of syntax in any language. Yes, I do
    	>tend to write up my psuedo-code in a C-like syntax frequently but you
    	>don't need to.

    	>     Loop until variable is equal to 7
    	>        Add 1 to variable
    	>        Print out the following string to screen: ;-)
    	>        end of loop

    	>There's an algorithm written in plain english."

    ---To be an algorithm, it must be definite.  This one isn't.
    The variable "variable" must be intialized.

    	>First of all "pseudo-code" is still written in a language, which has syntax
    	>and semantics. The trouble with an algorithm written in "plain english"
    	>like the above is that it is imprecise. For example does the string that
    	>is written to screen include a leading blank? I have no idea from the above.

    	>If variable is 2**32-1, does the above still work? I have no idea.

    	>Are the strings on separate lines of the screen? I have no idea.

    	>writing

    	>   while variable /= 7 loop
    	>      variable := variable + 1;
    	>      put_line (";-)");
    	>   end loop;

    	>is less writing than you did, just as clear, and importantly, exactly
    	>precise

    ---This isn't any more of an algorithm than that of the
    previous writer.  The variable "variable" still isn't
    initialized.

    Now, how about:

    	DO I = 1 TO 7 BY 1;
    		PUT SKIP LIST ( ';-)' );
    	END;

    is abundantly clear that the loop is being executed with
    clear start and finish values of the control variable.
    Furthermore, the loop will be executed exactly 7 times.

    Might be better to consider learning PL/I . . .

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (13 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-25  0:00 ` ++           robin
                       ` (5 subsequent siblings)
    From: ++           robin @ 1996-07-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    	Carlos DeAngulo <cdvi@msg.itg.ti.com> wrote in article
    	<01bb74ac$b7aa7860$7b91f780@deangulo>...
    	> You should definitely learn C/C++. The business world today uses C++ as
    	>its
    	> power language to develop the finest applications. Don't let anyone guide
    	> you wrong.

    	>Not to start a flame war on C++, but all you newbie programmers
    	>out there, don't believe everything you hear about C++.  Object
    	>oriented programming has a lot of good concepts, but C++ is a bad
    	>implementation of them.  Not that you shouldn't learn it, but
    	>don't think it's the ultimate expression of what OOP is all about.

    	>C++: The PL/I of the 90s.

    ---The PL/I of the 90s is considerably enhanced,
    with strong typing for list processing,
    ordinals, an extended macroprocessor, Year 2000
    date processing, and much more.

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (14 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-25  0:00 ` ++           robin
                       ` (4 subsequent siblings)
    From: ++           robin @ 1996-07-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    	Crash <wakko@starbase1.htls.lib.il.us> writes:

    	>An algorithm is just a set of instructions on how to accomplish a task. An
    	>algorithm does not depend at all on any sort of programming "language". In
    	>fact, I was taught that you should write out your "game plan" and psuedo
    	>code before you even touch any sort of syntax in any language. Yes, I do
    	>tend to write up my psuedo-code in a C-like syntax frequently but you
    	>don't need to.

    	>     Loop until variable is equal to 7
    	>	Add 1 to variable
    	>	Print out the following string to screen: ;-)
    	>	end of loop

    	>There's an algorithm written in plain english.

    ---To be an algorithm, it must be definite.  This one isn't.
    The variable "variable" is never initialized.

    	 It's a stupid algorithm,
    	>I'll give you that, but one none the less and it's not written in any
    	>programming "lanugage/syntax" I have ever worked with.

  • * Re: What's the best language to start with? [was: Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?]
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (15 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-31  0:00 ` Darin Johnson
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
    From: Darin Johnson @ 1996-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > To my oppionion the same holds for software design. Assembly
    > language is no longer really needed. If you have the knowledge it can be usefull,
    > but is it really worth the effort ?

    The effort is already minimal.  One lousy class.  And assembler is
    constantly showing up in the workplace still, sorry.  Sure, maybe your
    employees have no need of assembler, but other employees elsewhere may
    run across it.  I see too often employers trying to convince schools
    that every student should be customized to their particular needs, and
    it ends up with conflicting requirements by the prospective employers.
    Almost everything in CS is considered useless by at least one person
    on the outside - architecture, assembler, theory, algorithms, ai,
    mathematics, software engineering, operating systems, and every single
    language, including C and C++.

    The other common complaint I see all the time is the "I personally
    don't use XXX, therefore no one needs to use XXX".  This common
    attitude needs no further arguments to strike it down...

    The most common systems out there are Windows 3.1 and MVS.  MVS needs
    assembler, and Windows 3.1 programming is difficult to understand
    without understanding architectural details.  Find your best
    programmers and chances are they are somewhat familiar with some form
    of assembler.

    Sheesh, one class in 5 years covering *basics*, and you think it's not
    worth the effort...  I suppose you thought calculus and history were
    useful but not worth the effort too.
    --
    Darin Johnson
    djohnson@ucsd.edu	O-

  • * Re: What's the best language to start with? [was: Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?]
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (16 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-07-31  0:00 ` Darin Johnson
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
    From: Darin Johnson @ 1996-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > >it would be as if EE students were taught IC design in the first
    > >course, and were only given resisters, capacitors, ohm's law,
    > >etc. in their senior year, almost as an afterthought!
    >
    > Well, it may be going that way. Most of the logic design in my department is
    > now done in a Hardware Description Language;

    Is that an EE class though?  I doubt an *EE* class would get to the
    point where resisters/capacitors/etc are only taught as an
    afterthought (unless of course, the students are expected to already
    know this from physics classes).  Most EE students don't even get to
    do IC design, or even get jobs doing IC design.

    > Sure, there is a need for a few people to understand the nuts and
    > bolts, but these few will be writing the libraries and designing the
    > silicon i.e., making the tools. As long as the rest of us can use
    > the tools, what does it matter how they work?

    Then the "rest of us" don't need to go to universities.  We're not
    talking about how to use tools, we're talking about learning at the
    university level.  Why bother even learning programming if "the rest
    of us" are only going to use the end-products?  Do you advocate that
    arithmetic need not be taught, because "the rest of us" can just buy
    calculators?  If that's all you want from programming, then don't go
    to a university, there are plenty of 2-bit tradeschools, 4-bit
    tradeschools, and even some excellent tradeschools.  (however, most EE
    oriented tradeschools will teach capacitors, resistors, and Ohm's law,
    even if they never get around to Fourier or Laplace transforms)  If
    you don't like CS, then don't get a degree in CS, it's that simple.
    If you're in a CS program, the university can only assume you want to
    learn CS; even if they have a programming focus available, it surely
    won't be a "learn the minimum only" sort of degree.  If you don't want
    to learn, you don't have to, just don't spread your anti-learning
    philosophy to others.

    Yes, today at this moment, if you only know C++ you can get a job.
    But in the past, and hopefully in the future again, you're not going
    to get and keep a job if you aren't adaptable and flexible and able to
    pick up a new OS or language or programming technique or whatever.
    This field is not static.  Few fields are static.  You always need to
    learn new things and do things differently and use new tools, even if
    you're not the one designing the new things.  What good is your CNE
    going to do you when no one uses Novell anymore?  What about when
    TCP/IP never gets used anymore?  Or C, C++, or Ada?  Do you think the
    standard state of affairs should be to require massive retraining
    whenever the industry changes?
    --
    Darin Johnson
    djohnson@ucsd.edu	O-

  • * Re: What's the best language to start with? [was: Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?]
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (17 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-08-01  0:00 ` Stefan 'Stetson' Skoglund
    From: Stefan 'Stetson' Skoglund @ 1996-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    How do we write complex software such as air-traffic control
    systems, engine control systems, big-time banking systems
    and so on without abstracting away from the computer hardware ?

    How do we design such beasts ??
    Stefan 'Stetson' Skoglund          I               |
    sp2stes1@ida.his.se                I               |
    <http://www.his.se/ida/~sp2stes1/> I         _____/0\_____
                                       I ____________O(.)O___________
    H\"ogskolan i Sk\"ovde, Sverige    I      I-+-I    O    I-+-I
                                       I      Viggen with two Rb04

  • * Re: What's the best language to start with? [was: Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?]
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (18 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-08-01  0:00 ` Andy Hardy
    From: Andy Hardy @ 1996-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <qqg268at31.fsf@tartarus.ucsd.edu>, Darin Johnson
    <djohnson@tartarus.ucsd.edu> writes
    [snip]
    >  MVS needs assembler

    Pardon?

    Andy

    Andy Hardy (Internet: aph@ahardy.demon.co.uk, CIS: 100015,2603)
    PGP key available on request
    Acid absorbs 47 times it's weight in excess Reality.

  • * Re: What's the best language to start with? [was: Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?]
           [not found] <sperlman-0507961717550001@p121.ezo.net>
                       ` (19 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1996-08-07  0:00 ` Fergus Henderson
    From: Fergus Henderson @ 1996-08-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    "Tim Behrendsen" <tim@airshields.com> writes:

    >Fergus Henderson <fjh@mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote in article
    >> N lines of assembler is not much more difficult to understand
    >> or to code than N lines of C.  But if you want the students to
    >> understand say quicksort, it's a lot easier showing them 20 lines
    >> of C than 100 lines of assembler.
    >
    >Who's talking about showing them?  I would suggest that if
    >they wrote a quicksort in assembler, they will have a much
    >better "feel" for the algorithm, than if they wrote it in C.

    So which is better use of a student's time, writing 100 lines of
    quicksort in assembler, or using C and writing 20 lines of quicksort,
    10 lines of insertion sort, 20 lines of heap sort, 20 lines of
    merge sort, and 30 lines of glue to test them all out?

    Which will give them more practice in choosing meaningful variable
    names?  Which will give them understanding of a range of different
    sorting algorithms?  Which will give them experience of the idea of
    having multiple implementations of the same interface?  Which will
    teach them how to write portable code?  Which will give them more
    experience with the sort of software engineering problems they are
    likely to encounter in the Real World [tm]?

    --
    Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
    PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.

  • * Re: Should I learn C or Pascal?
    @ 1996-07-24  0:00 W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)
    From: W. Wesley Groleau (Wes) @ 1996-07-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    C.A. says:
    "You should definitely learn C/C++.  [Untruth deleted] Don't let anyone
    guide you wrong."

    D.D. retorts:
    "The world does _NOT_ end at C or C++, even if Carlos says so."

    If enough people in certain places let Carlos guide them wrong, maybe
    the world WILL end.  :-)  (Especially if they work for the US NRC.)

    Before you flame me for the word "untruth" read what Carlos said, paying
    particular attention to the words "finest applications."  Then if you still
    disagree, flame on!

    W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)                                Office: 219-429-4923
    Magnavox - Mail Stop 10-40                               Home: 219-471-7206
    Fort Wayne,  IN   46808              elm (Unix): wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com