From: "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
Subject: Re: Tips for conversion from Apex to GNAT
Date: 1999/12/23
Date: 1999-12-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Chris Powell <chris.powell@rrds.co.uk> wrote in message
news:38609E9C.B75C9962@rdel.co.uk...
> Does anyone have any tips for converting Apex based Ada system to build
> under GNAT? Some obvious potential pitfalls spring to mind: the
> compatibility of libraries (we cross compile to PowerPC, VxWorks), the
> file extension mapping from Apex .1.ada/.2.ada to .ads/.adb,
> inconsistencies in implementation-defined areas of the compilers...
>
> Perhaps someone has written a wizzo makefile that can build an
> application directly from views in an Apex tower using GNAT?
The Rational Compilation Integrator (RCI) system allows you to do that.
Your Rational Rep should be able to set one up for you, or you can
wade through the documentation, and do it yourself.  That's what I did,
then when a couple of Ada95 features -- e.g., stream attribute
overloading, I got a couple of hours help from Rational.
I set up such a system in early 1997, before Rational had a real
Ada95 compiler, and we were using gnat-3.09p at the time, using a
Solaris sparc-hosted Apex, generating programs for both Solaris and
IRIX targets.

> We are interested to see if the application builds any quicker: we spend
> a lot of time waiting for builds under Apex.

I can't comment on this part of the problem.