From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Matrix Multiplication
Date: 1999/12/15
Date: 1999-12-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <385699B5.59C14D03@lmco.com>,
  fud@fud.com wrote:
> OK,
> I was challenged by one of my co-workers - a control and guidance type
> - not a real software engineer.
>
> His claim  : "Fortran is faster doing floating point multiplication
> than Ada"

I hope you meant "matrix multiplication", as in the subject. This
statement makes absolutely no sense.

> I could not get any other specifications such as hardware, particular
> compiler, version, vendor, special math libraries or any other
> equivocations.  Just he
> claims the above in all cases.

So he admits that he basicly doesn't know what he's talking about. Nice.

A couple of years ago I took a graduate course in compiler optimizations
for parallel architectures. As you can imagine, the number crunchers
that use high-end parallel machines want the ability to use their
parallel capabilites to speed up their code, without having to rewite it
all in another language. The language in quesion is almost always
Fortran (from what I can tell, for historical reasons).

Anyway, this need has driven a lot of research into optimization of
Fortran code on parallel architectures. It has also created a new
variant of the language : HPF (High-Performance Fortran). HPF has 3 new
looping constructs that correspond to parallel operations. The big issue
for optimizing these kinds of things is figuring out the lifetimes of
objects and values. The teacher of course was a big Fortran fan, so I
didn't mention Ada (I wanted a good grade. I'm not that stupid). But all
during the class, I'd keep raising my hand and saying "wouldn't it be
easier to perform this optimization if you had {insert Ada rule here}".
Generally, she'd agree.

In fact, I think it would be quite possible to create an Ada compiler
that could optimize matrix operations *better* than the best Fortran
compiler, assuming you also devise loop pragmas to match the HPF
parallel looping constructs. You certianly could do it better with the
same amount of effort.

But "effort" is the key. How much effort a compiler vendor puts into
optimization doesn't directly have anything to do with the language the
compiler recognizes. It has a lot to do with the compiler's maturity and
its target market. However, I wouldn't be shocked to discover that your
average Fortran developer cares immensely more about the efficiency of
looping matrix operations than your average Ada developer.

In any case, claiming "compiled language X is faster than compiled
language Y" is just flat-out wrong.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/