* Request for DSA Tutorials & Advice
@ 2018-01-16 15:43 Shark8
       [not found] ` <85b110b6-4ac7-47f4-bd23-53d0493d4b31@googlegroups.com>
From: Shark8 @ 2018-01-16 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a small project which I would like to use the DSA for -- the general functionality is simple: a database distributed over various servers. (The project is an implementation of MUMPS; which means the 'heart' of the project is a database implemented as a B-Tree distributed over multiple servers.)

I know that the DSA can do this, and I would like to know how, but I have no experience with the DSA. Also, and this I'm unsure of, can a DSA application add/remove [storage] nodes dynamically? (If so, "hot-swapably"?) -- Such a facility would be a great boon to horizontal scaling.

If successful, this project will be quite useful to the MUMPS community (as a full-Ada implementation would be quite portable) -- but it could also help the Ada community because MUMPS is _THE_ backend language for [electronic] medical records (certainly within the VA) and an Ada implementation could provide for some good Ada interop into the system. (Thus getting Ada's toe in the door for non-embedded/non-device medical applications.)

-----
I'll post a gethub link to the project once I get a bit more info and a bit more fleshed out architecturally.

* Re: Request for DSA Tutorials & Advice
@ 2018-01-16 17:07 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
       [not found] ` <85b110b6-4ac7-47f4-bd23-53d0493d4b31@googlegroups.com>
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2018-01-16 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/16/2018 04:43 PM, Shark8 wrote:

> I know that the DSA can do this, and I would like to know how, but I have no experience with the DSA. Also, and this I'm unsure of, can a DSA application add/remove [storage] nodes dynamically? (If so, "hot-swapably"?) -- Such a facility would be a great boon to horizontal scaling.

The one DSA system I worked on did this.

--
Jeff Carter
"If I could find a sheriff who so offends the citizens of Rock

* Re: Request for DSA Tutorials & Advice
@ 2018-01-16 17:16   ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2018-01-16 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 10:09:14 AM UTC-7, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> On 01/16/2018 04:43 PM, Shark8 wrote:
> >
> > I know that the DSA can do this, and I would like to know how, but I have no experience with the DSA. Also, and this I'm unsure of, can a DSA application add/remove [storage] nodes dynamically? (If so, "hot-swapably"?) -- Such a facility would be a great boon to horizontal scaling.
>
> The one DSA system I worked on did this.

Awesome, now I know it's possible.

You wouldn't happen to have the source available? Or any tips/hints?

* Re: Request for DSA Tutorials & Advice
@ 2018-01-16 19:14     ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2018-01-16 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/16/2018 06:16 PM, Shark8 wrote:

> You wouldn't happen to have the source available? Or any tips/hints?

I don't have the source. It's proprietary, so if I did, I couldn't share it with
you anyway. David Botton did most of the implementation of the DSA part. I wrote
code that communicated through it. We had a main program and 2 kinds of
partitions, with multiple instances of the partitions. When a partition instance
became active, it would register with the main program. The main program kept
track of the active partitions and tried to balance the work across them.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe Botton could be.

--

@ 2018-01-16 20:15       ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2018-01-16 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:14:59 PM UTC-7, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:

> Sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe Botton could be.

Oh no, you've been quite helpful; the description alone you gave is most informative. (But I'll certainly keep an eye out for David Botton.)

Thank you very much!

* Re: Request for DSA Tutorials & Advice
@ 2018-01-16 20:28         ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2018-01-16 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/16/2018 09:15 PM, Shark8 wrote:

> (But I'll certainly keep an eye out for David Botton.)

Take a peek at

http://gnoga.com/#developers

--

@ 2018-01-16 21:02   ` Shark8