* Props to Jean-Pierre!
@ 2006-03-07 16:08 Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2006-03-07 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks go to Jean-Pierre Rosen for taking the time to write a letter,
"Lack of Ada Reflects Software Immaturity", to the editors of
"Communications of the ACM" that they published in the March '06 issue.

It was in a response to an article titled "Detection and Prevention of
Stack Buffer Overflow Attacks" (11/2005).

Money quote (as they say :-)...

"Many of the problems addressed in the article follow from not using
appropriate programming languages, an issue Ada solved more than 20
years ago."

Thanks!

-- Marc A. Criley
-- McKae Technologies
-- www.mckae.com
-- DTraq - XPath In Ada - XML EZ Out

* Re: Props to Jean-Pierre!
@ 2006-03-08  8:19 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2006-03-08  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley a �crit :
> Thanks go to Jean-Pierre Rosen for taking the time to write a letter,
> "Lack of Ada Reflects Software Immaturity", to the editors of
> "Communications of the ACM" that they published in the March '06 issue.
>
> It was in a response to an article titled "Detection and Prevention of
> Stack Buffer Overflow Attacks" (11/2005).
>
> Money quote (as they say :-)...
>
> "Many of the problems addressed in the article follow from not using
> appropriate programming languages, an issue Ada solved more than 20
> years ago."

Yeap. Couldn't resist, when I saw people, in 2006, comming with the
bright new idea that the programmer cannot always be trusted, and that
it would be good to have the language perform automatically some checks.

Sigh....

            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)