From: "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
Subject: Re: Ada83 Exponentiation HELP !!!
Date: 1999/12/13
Date: 1999-12-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

jxredi <jxredi@gecms.com.au> wrote in message
news:831tka$rue$1@tobruk.sydney.gecm.com...
> Can anyone help me with the following  :
>
> I understand that in Ada83,     6^3  is represented as 6**3, where 6 can
be
> int or real,
> and 3 can only be an INTEGER.
>
> So how do I represent in ada83 this .....  -->    6^(1.3) where 1.3 is
type
> REAL.
You either need a third-party math library, or possibly your compiler
includes
a math library, or possibly you could interface to the C library.

Since you gave no clue as to the compiler you're using, nor the platform
(Hardware and OS), it's difficult to be more specific with recommendations.

In any case, a function with the signature
function "**"(Left, Right : Real) return Real;
can be implemented, or is implemented in a math library to do this.

With such a function implemented and visible in the current scope, then
you can say 6.0 ** 1.3, or whatever.

Incidentally the Ada language does _not_ define a type Real, so I assume
that Real has been declared somewhere in your code, or in a library you
have mentioned in a context clause.