From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
Subject: Re: Make specific warning error with gnat?
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 05:30:58 -0400
Date: 2010-07-02T05:30:58-04:00	[thread overview]

Markus Schoepflin <nospam@no.spam> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I seem to remember that with gnat it was possible to turn a specific
> warning into an error. I couldn't find anything in the docs, now I'm
> not sure if this really was gnat or some other compiler which offered
> this feature.
>
> Anyway, what I want is a compile time error for the warning
> "Constraint_Error" will be raised at run time.
>
> Is this possible with gnat without turning all warnings into errors?

Just out of curiosity, why not treat all warnings as errors?

gnat is a very good compiler; the warnings it produces should be taken
seriously.

I have a policy of always eliminating all warnings. Sometimes that means
redesigning the code, which in the end turns out to be a good thing.

There are times when the only way to eliminate a warning is to use
pragma Warings (Off), or give a file-specific compiler option in a
project file. But that is rare, and the benefits from otherwise
eliminating warnings is large.

--
-- Stephe