From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
Subject: Re: GNADE still alive?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 08:36:26 -0400
Date: 2012-04-24T08:36:26-04:00	[thread overview]

Alan Jump <alan.jump@gmail.com> writes:

> I've come across a porting project that needs to talk to an existing
> SQLite database. A quick search brings me to Sourceforge and the GNADE
> project...but I see no activity in that project since 2008. Is it
> still being developed? Or should I look elsewhere for an existing
> package?

<rant>
Why do people care if something is being "developed"? I'd much more care
if it _works_, and then if there is support for bug fixing and new
feature adding, or if I can understand the code well enough to fix
it/improve it myself.

People still rely on CVS; it hasn't been under development for decades!

Windows is constantly under developement; would you choose that for a
long-term critical project?
</rant>

I worked on GNADE some; I believe it works well enough to be a starting
point, but you should worry about support for both bugs and new features
that you might need. There are no active GNADE developers, so you'd have
to do that yourself. That should be easier than any of the other
database front ends I'm aware of.

I think the pro versions of GNATcoll include SQLite, but not the current
public version. I don't like the way AdaCore writes code (although I do
like their compiler :), so I would find it hard to maintain/improve
GNATcoll. But if you can afford an AdaCore support contract, that is
definitely the way to go.

QtAda has a database abstraction, and I think it can use an SQLite
backend, but I didn't get very far trying to use it. There's a big C++
intermediate between the Ada and the SQLite API, so it would be a pain
to understand and maintain.

--
-- Stephe